Gibson Brands Forums

How many records can one guy be on?

jaxson50

Carol Kaye is accredited with 10,000 plus recordings as part of the Wrecking Crew.

But Kaye, Blaine, and the rest of the WC were not touring artist, Kaye has told many times of 16 to 20 hr days going from studio to studio, she like Tedesco preferred the studio to playing on the road.In his 2008 NPR interview Campbell was asked why he continued to do session work after he was an established performer with a TV show, he replied that he just enjoyed playing with the studio artist, playing different styles etc.I'm jealous!Those days are gone.

...Campbell was asked why he continued to do session work after he was an established performer with a TV show, he replied that he just enjoyed playing with the studio artist, playing different styles etc...

There are players, and then there are players. Glen was a player.

Probably the only country western star who also recorded with Sinatra, the Jefferson Airplane and Grace Jones! And Eddy Arnold, and Willie Nelson, and .......

Agreed, and then some (artists)!!! The chapter in the Wrecking Crew book about recording Strangers In The Night with Sinatra is alone worth the price of the book!! [laugh]

I caught this Article in Vintage Guitar about a guy named Bob Bain. I'd never heard of him. But I've heard some of the hundreds of Records he played on. It's a bit long but a good read. Some of his lengthy Discography is at the end.

One of his Guitars was featured on the Cover. That's what drew me in. I've since modded a version of that Guitar for myself.

Enjoy,

Lars

https://www.vintageguitar.com/2810/bob-bain/

I'm going to miss Glenn. Another musician who has done quite a lot of session work is "Skunk Baxter" of Steely Dan acclaim. As for as audio studio work he doesn't hold a candle to the musicians mentioned above.

Though as far as video performances backing up other bands, he is like "Where's Waldo?". He is everywhere on video and stage with other bands. The man is very much in demand it seems.

Lineman for the county, anyone?

1502663796[/url]' post='1874874']

Out of curiosity I looked up McCartney on the same site using the "Credits" tab. McCartney has 13,035 so Campbell had a way to go to catch up. http://www.allmusic....0029884/credits And John Lennon actually has more - 13,161 http://www.allmusic....0232564/credits

I didn't intend to take anything away from McCartney, the opposite actually, he is one of the most prolific writers and performers of the past half century.But....the credits given to both McCartney and Lennon on the links you provided are as primary composers, not as instrumentalists.That was my point, that Glen Campbell was so versatile and in such demand as a session player or as a backup vocalist.Paul has done a lot of work with other artist in the studio as a multi instrumentalis for sure,

In Lennons case it is interesting that much of the credits are for works created long after his unfortunate death. That's speaks volumes to his genius as a writer.

Archived