Gibson Brands Forums

So, what's going on today?

Pinch

Thought we could use a thread like the "What's..." thread in the Epi lounge. How was your day, what are you doing, anything interesting to share?

I'll go first. I tried Gorgomyte before oiling a fretboard the other day, and I'm super impressed. I'll never use anything else for fretboard cleaning ever again!

Thoroughly recommended!

so it seems that this is a cloth that you use before you treat the wood?

my story:

I just got a mandolin (well last week) Washburn F-style.

It was on back order for months due to CITES.

I dropped it off for a setup on Monday, I picked it up yesterday, he did a great job, feels MUCH better...

Don't know a lot about playing it, it is different lots to learn on this one, but I love the sound of it.

Well, last night I played my 1964 Vox student amplifier.

The speaker on this amp seemed to be on its last leg, just about any note played hard on the 5th and 6th string would overwhelm the 7" original 53 year-old speaker.

I was hesitant to have the speaker reconed so I added a speaker output jack and that works really well through a cab thinking that'd be the only solution

Well, looking at YouTube I ran into a video where a guy adds contact cement to the surround of the cone and I did just that although the brand of cement I used does not look real pretty and did not go on smoothly either but...it worked! the speaker is functional again!

It's cool except that I had previously looked for speaker doping and never found any, turns out it is not called that, it is called "Rubberized Speaker Glue" and it is pretty available on eBay but somehow I never learned this on my previous Google searches.

The speaker works and sounds good again but I just wish I had used the right stuff and well, it would also look better.

So, that's the lesson of the day, do not Google "Where can I buy dope" just go to eBay and search for rubberized speaker glue.

That's great to hear about your mandolin. I know you've been waiting a long time for it. Let me know when you've posted some music so I can hear you play it. I'm looking forward to it.

For me today, a co-worker brought in her Crestwood Telecaster and I'm going to restring it tonight, set the intonation and all that and check the electronics. She says it's 15-17 years old and it's in decent condition and feels like a decent player for an inexpensive guitar.

Last night I took a chance and attended this online seminar by Charlie Wallace. I found his site a while ago and after numerous spam messages, I decided to check him out and his lessons. He's a pretty decent player and seems to be a pretty good teacher. If nothing else, it got me playing for about 3 hours straight during that particular seminar.

Got my Marshall back the other day and played it a lot last night. It still has an annoying hum from the power transformer. The repair shop I took it to said that apparently it's got a transformer in it made for the UK but it's been modified (and not well done) and it has a hum if turned up loud. They said Marshall doesn't make a US transformer for it any more since it's so old, so it can't be fixed. I got it for $150.00, so I'm not out a whole lot on it. I'd like to have it fixed but I'll probably end up replacing it, which was discussed in another thread.

Busy 24 hours for me.

Taking a break from work as a computer programmer, I am checking out the forums to see what kind of trouble I can get into. I am also charging the batteries for the G-Force tuners on my new Les Paul Less + and Les Paul Jr that I just got. Looking forward to playing those after work tonight.

Guest Farnsbarns

Taking a break from work as a computer programmer, I am checking out the forums to see what kind of trouble I can get into. I am also charging the batteries for the G-Force tuners on my new Les Paul Less + and Les Paul Jr that I just got. Looking forward to playing those after work tonight.

Ooh, what languages do you use/know?

Posted an album which I sold on Discogs.

Went swimming, shopping - groceries.

In supermarket, let a bloke about my age with only 1 item into the queue in front of me. "Thankyou very much young man" he said!!! (I was 63 end of June).

Cooked a nice meal, practised a bit of guitar.

Band practice this evening.

Yesterday my car passed its annual MOT (Ministry Of Transport, UK) Test without me having to fix anything. [thumbup]

Upgrading our Microsoft Exchange (email) environment from 2010 to Exchange 2016. Finished stress tests on servers. Upgraded AD Schema. Installation starting next week and then migration of 2000 or so users internationally.

Continued Street, Yard, (outside) House cleanup, from recent (last Saturday evening) tornado/microburst downdrafts.

Power was out for 37 hours...and, considering the overall damage, it was a miracle, by some dedicated linesmen,

that we got it back, in that period of time. Could, easily, have been days, or weeks. The "clean up," has been

slow going, as we keep getting hit, with other storms...the last 2 evenings, in particular. But, we "soldier" on!

Luckily, for me, my 100+ year old "Stucco" house, seems to be fine! Will have the roof checked, to be sure, but it's

a "new" 30-year roof (only a year old), so unless there's damage I can't see, it's probably OK. No leaks, yet, from

the 2 more recent (even since the "tornado") flash flood rains. Basement (Outside entrance) has about 4" of mud, just

beyond the inner door, but that seems to happen, whenever we have several repeated heavy rains. Trying to figure out,

"where" exactly, it's coming from. It's not the outside door, or stairs...they're dry! The continued "joys" of home

ownership, in "Tornado Alley!" [tongue][biggrin]

So, that's been my recent activity, this past week.

CB

Kidblast: the website says cleaning and conditioning. I asked Jimmy himself, and he said most players find it hydrates enough (not verbatim), but that it was fine to lemon oil the fretboard after using it, which I always do once a year. The Swedish winters and fretboards do not mix happily. (Swedish winters do not mix with anything, though...)

You can use it just for cleaning without using anything after (but keep in mind it does such a good job and cleans so deep, maybe you shouldn't use it all the time? I'll use it anually for cleaning the fretboard), for fret polishing, and it's also excellent for removing rust. No need for toothbrushes and excessive elbow grease.

It's pretty cheap too.

More info: http://www.gorgomyte.com. And no, am in no way affiliated with them.

Kidblast: the website says cleaning and conditioning. I asked Jimmy himself, and he said most players find it hydrates enough (not verbatim), but that it was fine to lemon oil the fretboard after using it, which I always do once a year. The Swedish winters and fretboards do not mix happily. (Swedish winters do not mix with anything, though...)

You can use it just for cleaning without using anything after (but keep in mind it does such a good job and cleans so deep, maybe you shouldn't use it all the time? I'll use it anually for cleaning the fretboard), for fret polishing, and it's also excellent for removing rust. No need for toothbrushes and excessive elbow grease.

It's pretty cheap too.

More info: http://www.gorgomyte.com. And no, am in no way affiliated with them.

I shall have to try one..

winters i the boston area not as bad as far north as you are, but it can be pretty miserable here too.

Big Bill -- you f---ng kill me! LOL!

Oh yeah, you were in Boston. You guys get pretty dry winters as well, if I remember my Cliff Clavin-ology classes correctly!

Yes, I recommend you try one. You get a soaked rag in a Ziploc bag, and this rag is three years old or something, and no hint of drying out or mould or anything. Good as new.

What I did, and seeing as we live in similar climates, was, as per the instructions, use one square inch, turning it as I went, for the entire fretboard. Then I dried it with a cotton cotton cloth, and let it sit for coupla hours before I lemon oiled it. I've heard complaints that it takes forever to get the grime that comes out actually off the board, but with the Dunlop after, it was just fine after I'd let the oil sit for a few minutes before I wiped the excess oil off.

I personally don't believe in deep-cleaning fretboards more than once every 1-2 years, but like I said, it's also good for rust spots and getting gunk off frets.

Two thumbs up.

Guest Farnsbarns

Yesterday was my birthday and I took the day off. Spent most of it alone and had a lovely day. Worked on some bonsai trees, played a bit of guitar, watched some TV, played with the dog and thoroughly enjoyed my own company.

It's nice to have a day to yourself occasionally.

Archived