Gibson Brands Forums

NGD- Joe Pass Emperor II Pro

gtrman100

Since I sold my Gibson and Guild jazz boxes, I've been wanting another, but the prices are astronomical for a nice one. Just browsing, I walked into my local GC and hanging on the wall was this beautiful sunburst Epiphone with a blowout tag on it. After playing it for about 25 minutes, I dropped the $599 (!) and bought the guitar.

The build quality, the materials, the playability, and tone are equal to the $2200 Guild X-500 I sold. Other than the poly finish, I think it's the equal to the Gibson ES-175's I've played. Epiphone has totally upped their game with these Pro models. The pickups sound excellent, no need to swap them, the fretwork is fine, the neck is straight, no finish flaws, the pots and switch are decent (maybe the only thing to change down the road) and it's got lots of bling with the multiply binding, gold hardware, Tree of Life headstock inlay, and well done sunburst finish. I'm totally satisfied with this axe and it's a keeper!

kEQQeNr.jpg

GGthQUr.jpg

EPPIgcz.jpg

I love my 2001 Samick-made Joe Pass! I noticed recently in a store that the tops on the newer ones have much less of an arch than mine does --- they were barely more than a flat top. Yours looks a bit more pronounced, which I take as a good sign.

Looks nice, I'll bet it's real comfortable to play. I don't know if it's a fluke but I saw a brand new natural finished Broadway the other day on line and it appears Epi is back to the larger F holes. The neck was joined at the base of the headstock straight across instead of the scarf joint a little lower down the neck. I like the changes. [thumbup]

Here is the link. Can't tell if the F holes are bound. Looks like it but beige color instead of white? Maybe? [blink]

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETBWNAGH

• 3 months later...

I am hoping to land a Joe Pass Emperor-- Unsung factory-- I believe. I love the build quality of the Chinese instruments Epiphone is producing. I believe this one will be near that Pro you bought. I gave a bit less, so I can do some tweaking and adjusting if I am the winning bidder.

s-l1600.jpg

I did win the bid and have purchased the above Emperor. I am grateful to be able to afford one used for $355 plus shipping. This, alongside my MIK Riviera from 2004, also in route, is going to give me my Epiphone blues guitar arsenal. I love the shape and sound of Epiphones over all other electric guitars. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like a beauty. Congrats.

I will agree with many of you that Epiphone's quality is really outstanding for the money. The Pro models seem like a great value, providing Elitist-like sound quality and tidy workmanship at even more affordable prices. I just got a Masterbilt Century De Luxe and am gobsmacked by how nice an instrument it is. Nicely made, very unique sounding, and super easy to play.

Red 333

Archived