Gibson Brands Forums

Famous Gibson acoustic artists

Tim35

Neil Young has to enter the list. His herd included a J-200 for over 45 years.

And let's not forget J-50-Club members John Renbourn and Ralph McTell, , , , , , plus Gillian Welch (w. her alternative saddle).

Btw. according to Young's tech, he also brings a secret 1950's hotel-room-J-50 with him on tour.

JCV - Jagger definitely still swings his original first wave Hummingbird on stage. But Richards seems to have converted to a small body Mart.

Neil Young has to enter the list. His herd included a J-200 for over 45 years.

And let's not forget J-50-Club members John Renbourn and Ralph McTell, , , , , , plus Gillian Welch.

Btw. according to Young's tech, he also brings a secret 1950's hotel-room-J-50 with him on tour.

JCV - Jagger definitely still swings his original first wave Hummingbird on stage. But Richards seems to have converted to a small body Mart.

...and the guy who literally inspired Renbourn and McTell to pick up those J-50s, Davy Graham. For those who don't know this guy, he's credited with starting the entire UK folk blues guitar movement, he virtually invented world music and influenced just about every player who came after. A poor singing voice and a debilitating drug habit seriously curtailed his success, but those who know about guitar will tell you Davy was THE man. His 60s Decca LPs (issued on the London label in the US) are unbelievable. In case of confusion, he later spelled his name Davey.

Another much underrated UK folk guitarist is Wizz Jones. He's from the same folk blues generation as Bert Jansch, John Renbourn etc and has long been associated with 60s Epiphone Texans

Just thought of one of my favorites....Dave Van Ronk....I was surprised that Neil was a Gibson guy....and had forgot all about early John Renbourn...Did Bert Jansch ever play a Gibson?

Bert Jansch never played Gibsons. He was mostly associated with high-end Yamahas in recent years, while his early LPs were recorded on a small bodied Martin, possibly a 00028. In the early years he also used custom built guitars by John Bailey a British luthier.

Bert is pictured onstage with a 60s sunburst Epiphone Texan in the booklet of the CD "Young Man Blues - Live In Glasgow 1962 - 1964" a collection of early live recordings, but it's thought that was a borrowed guitar.

Billy Bragg.

Therein hangs a tale...I'm BB's tour manager. We're currently in Austria, and two days ago the J45 that he's been playing for a long time was lost by the airline on our way to Croatia to play a festival.

We're all upset about it. Currently waiting for our driver to pick us up and take us guitar shopping in Linz.

...and the guy who literally inspired Renbourn and McTell to pick up those J-50s, Davy Graham. For those who don't know this guy, he's credited with starting the entire UK folk blues guitar movement, he virtually invented world music and influenced just about every player who came after. A poor singing voice and a debilitating drug habit seriously curtailed his success, but those who know about guitar will tell you Davy was THE man. His 60s Decca LPs (issued on the London label in the US) are unbelievable. In case of confusion, he later spelled his name Davey.

Davey Graham was great in the 1960s - but, as you say, drugs caught up with him and his playing deteriorated.

He was still playing (only occasionally) 10 years or so back here in England. A friend of mine went to see him in concert and said he was absolutely dreadful. A sad way to end a career built initially on such a talent.

On a brighter note, he also played the oud - this fits with your "world music" comment above. Though, to be fair, it was a Guild player, Richie Havens (of Woodstock film fame), who did at least as much to kick WM off.

Davey Graham was great in the 1960s - but, as you say, drugs caught up with him and his playing deteriorated.

He was still playing (only occasionally) 10 years or so back here in England. A friend of mine went to see him in concert and said he was absolutely dreadful. A sad way to end a career built initially on such a talent.

On a brighter note, he also played the oud - this fits with your "world music" comment above. Though, to be fair, it was a Guild player, Richie Havens (of Woodstock film fame), who did at least as much to kick WM off.

Davy went off to North Africa in the early 60s and came back playing African and middle eastern music arranged for guitar, at a time when folk music was still rooted in the pre-Dylan three chord era. He's credited with introducing the DADGAD tuning into popular music, which was picked up by Jimmy Page and the like. His peak was 1964-69 and his records were patchy after that. But even in the late 70s Davy was recording albums of music from many countries on all kinds of instruments.

Therein hangs a tale...I'm BB's tour manager. We're currently in Austria, and two days ago the J45 that he's been playing for a long time was lost by the airline on our way to Croatia to play a festival.

We're all upset about it. Currently waiting for our driver to pick us up and take us guitar shopping in Linz.

Jinder besides being very talented...you are one modest dude.I remember the post about " the artist" you were tour managing who lost his J-45.You didn't mention who it was.Turns out it was Billy Bragg.

I learnt how to play "Way over yonder" from a youtube clip where he plays it on his J-45 in a breakfast radio studio.Super!Good luck with the tour and the guitar replacement.

I'm a big fan of the whole Graham, Jansch, Renbourn british players club. Steve Tilston is also very good...Nick Drake too although I dont recall ever seeing any of them playing a Gibson...sort of hijacking my own thread. Thanks for all the replys!

1502438841[/url]' post='1874415']

This is so cool...

I just bought tickets to see Billy Bragg in NYC. City Winery. 10/16. Maybe I'll see you there...