Gibson Brands Forums

Sigma J45 clone

Mickthemiller

Alright Mick - hope you're well

Played both this and the slightly lower end model in a local shop and was impressed. Very nice guitar and very similar to the J45. I'm still on the Harley Bentons - just bought the auditorium one (CLA-28VE) and have done 3 gigs with it already. Really impressed with the HB custom line guitars - a lot of guitar for little money - and probably made side by side to Sigma judging by the looks of other models.

Hardly playing my Epiphone at all now - probably because I strung it with EXP16s and they don't suit. both my HBs have these strings and sound great but elixirs suit the Epi better and I think 11s suit better too.

Hi Dodger, yes we all seem to go our own ways from Epiphones. I sold my AJ45me a while back. That was after I had bought a J15 and then a couple of Eastmans and a few Martins. I look in here once in a while to see what's occurring but there are no Epiphones that have caught my eye lately. Nice to see you are gigging and that you having good experiences with HBs. Last HB I bought was the uke bass. It has rubber strings but sounds really quite good. I keep intending to do some recording but other things grab my attention. This Sigma has really surprised me, laminate b&s guitars, like you said about the HB, can produce a very nice tone. Cheers

Just took a look at the CLA-28VE. I quite fancy the non electric one. A rosewood OM would be a welcome addition to my collection. Now what can I sell? One in one out rule applying at present!

Can't recommend the CLA28 enough Mick - they are bringing on out with walnut b&s too soon. Doesn't your J15 have this combination?

The CLA is shallow but produces a great mid range sound - love mine already. Better than a Taylor GS Mini or Martin 000x1ae and a third of the price. Beautiful to look at - very faithful copy of the Martin 00028v but tenth of the price

Sigma also makes a very nice Hummingbird clone. DM-SG5. Wish these new Sigmas were being import in the US. The only stores I've seen carrying them are Canadian. I'm not sure they could send it to me here if I tried to purchase one. :(

There is some prohibited ability for Sigmas to currently be distributed in the US for a restricted period of time. Stems from the CF Martin Company used to own all rights to the Sigma brand, but then got out of Sigma business, but due to an oversight of some kind never released their rights to the brand name and distribution of Sigmas in the US, although they did so in the rest of the world...thinking the brand was dead. When the new Sigmas started being produced and distributed, US distributors of Sigma from the Martin ownership days balked (as I assume so did the Martin Company) with the outcome in court being the new non-Martin Sigmas could not be distributed in the US for a certain period of time (not forever). But, that period will eventually lapse and then the new Sigma brand will be distributed in the US. Or something like that. (It's a legal thang.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Just have to reiterate, this 45 clone is the best sounding lam back and sides guitar I have ever played. It's becoming my go to guitar and I have a hummingbird, a j15, two Martins and three Eastmans to chose from. I love it. Sorry you folks over the pond can't get em yet.

Mick did you let your HB all solid go?

My laminate b&s HBs are up there with the low end Martins if not better

Still got it. Laid it down to mature in a Gibson case. It's pickin up that lovely Gibson smell. Like cheap sherry in an old whisky barrel. Seriously it does come out occasionally and I still think it sounds fine. It's a gem. I do hear lots of good things about that d42 clone of yours. Also there's a Stamford old mommy that Thomann sells that has some good reviews and is regularly sold out.

Hi Mick, hello Dodger,

Good to see you guys are still around - my life has been a bit complicted for the last year and a half or so, and I've been an infrequent visitor to the forum.

Anyhow, Andertons did a review/comparison video a couple of weeks ago

and the Sigma came out pretty well.

I was slightly tempted but I've already bought an Epiphone semi-hollowbody electric this year and recently I've found myself looking at the Taylor GS-Mini.

Irish, before you plump for a Taylor GS Mini do try the Martin junior dread. I had a GS Mini and sold it. Had a Martin dr J, well two actually but sold the mahogany one to put to a second hand Martin 00015m. Kept the spruce top and it really does have that grown up tone. It lives by the side of the sofa where I sit to watch TV and probably gets more playing than any of my guitars. By the way, I'm lovin' the Sigma. I can't get over how bloomin' good it sounds. Keep well.

Archived