Gibson Brands Forums

So there's this LG-3...

AnneS

Every Friday night, a reputable local company runs an auction not far from town. Mainly estate-stuff--lots of furniture and dishes and tools and miscellany--and the occasional musical instrument. It can be fun, and I've scored some stuff from time to time.

Up tonight is a vintage LG-3--holy cats! A quick perusal of the internet indicates these were made beginning mainly in 1948 (with maybe a few in 1942), up until 1961, with the model being replaced in 1962 by the B-something. The one on the block tonight lacks the batwing guard, so I believe that means it predates 1954.

My thought is to check my checking account, quick! First, I've been dreaming of another small body (I have a 64 LG-1, you may recall), and I'm not risk-averse if the tone is there (or could be coaxed out). Second, if I don't bond, the Bee-Three Guitar show is coming to town next month...

The auction attendees are generally a knowledgeable bunch, but not everyone is interested in (or paying attention to) everything, so there is always a chance that something goes for crazy less than it should. (Once, they sold like 8 butt-ugly cow-hide dining chairs for about $100 a piece, then came out later and red-facedly announced that they hadn't done their homework in time and learned, 30 mins after the sale, that the chairs were made by some well-known Texas artiste and that the set was, in fact, worth closer to $10k. Point is, fun stuff can happen there.)

I think I have to go sit in an uncomfortable chair tonight and sweat this one out. I'll have a chance to inspect it ahead of time, but I figure, unless it's falling apart in my hands or laden with bad mojo, there is a decent chance it could be worth my while.

Any advice from my sage friends out there?

[scared]

Tonally, these little guys can be all over the map, whether it's an LG-2(3) or the B-25 that followed in the '60s. With expectations high, the last '50s LG-3 I played just didn't have it, so you never know until it's in your hands.

If it sounds good, it is good, and some of these can be soooo nice!

There are many reasons why it may not be sounding good at the auction, Anne. Old strings, for one. Big room/bad acoustic qualities too. I don't believe there are many that can't be brought to the X-braced small bod Gibson tone with just a little set-up. Cracks are fixable, so is neck angle relating to string height and playability. If the saddle is waaay low and/or the bridge wings are very thin (sanded down bridge) it indicates someone was trying to avoid a neck reset, which you might want to factor in at $3-400. Severely curved or warped necks can be a 'last straw' no deal issue so look for that. Also, if the truss rod cover can be taken off you would want to know if the adj nut turns with some resistance so you have a chance it might function. Socket wrench anyone? A broken truss rod is also a game changer. So is a sunken top between the bridge and sound hole. I'm guessing a decent one will get up into the $1,500 to $2,000 range among knowledgeable vintage geeks. Good luck! Send pics..

So I ran down for a look and play. Its FON shows it to be, in fact, from 1954. It has an un-repaired center seam crack on the top, running from the bridge all the way, and I don't think it's cleated. The tuners don't look original (knobs too white and hardware too shiny, but I can't say for sure), and it looks like the bridge was re-glued at some point.

Also, there's some kind of finish damage on the edge of the back lower bout that, along with a slight stain on the inside, suggests it endured some kind of water event. There is no mildew or other foreign odor, and the underlying wood doesn't feel soft or appear to be damaged, so it looks to me like, whatever happened, the then-owner mitigated things well enough.

The neck is straight--she's in tune and has good harmonics all the way up, even with some seriously old strings.. Couldn't hear any loose braces. Frets are pretty worn, but there was no buzzing, and it played just like my LG1, not surprisingly. Original alligator cardboard case (with some ancient used strings in brittle Black Diamond sleeves--cool factor!).

There were no other pre-viewers there while I was, but one of the auctioneers said he's been getting calls (you can phone bids in from out of town). He also said the owner got it from her father and that the visible damage occurred after she'd lent it to her brother. Now, that quite cracks me up, as I procured my LG1 from my own brother, after my father bought it for him. Karma maybe.

Anyway, in its current condition, it seems like a solid enough player that sounds quite good but could most definitely use some TLC. Fair enough for any 63-year-old anything, yes?

I'm going to think about how high I'd be willing to go, knowing that I shan't be slighted if outbid. If anyone has suggestions as to range for what I've describe, fire away!

Thanks...

Hmm...with that info it would be great to snag it for under $1200.

That's exactly the number I was thinking of as a max. Leaves plenty of wiggle room for some repair if I want to explore the relationship a little or for moving it along without regret.

Thanks for your input--I'm seeing crazy high 'for sale' prices for this make and year, but good grief--I won't be the one buying at that kind of price point, and I seriously doubt these are really selling for 3k. Gimme a break!

Game on! [sneaky]

That's exactly the number I was thinking of as a max. Leaves plenty of wiggle room for some repair if I want to explore the relationship a little or for moving it along without regret.

Thanks for your input--I'm seeing crazy high 'for sale' prices for this make and year, but good grief--I won't be the one buying at that kind of price point, and I seriously doubt these are really selling for 3k. Gimme a break!

Game on! [sneaky]

Yeah Yuh! Let us know how it turns out!

If you aren't too attached to your LG1, you may find the LG3 does all you need in that size guitar, and sell it off to balance out your cash flow a little.

Nah, I won't be moving that one. I learned on it, and it has achieved legacy status in my family. But maybe more will be better. ;)

Tonally, these little guys can be all over the map, whether it's an LG-2(3) or the B-25 that followed in the '60s. With expectations high, the last '50s LG-3 I played just didn't have it, so you never know until it's in your hands.

If it sounds good, it is good, and some of these can be soooo nice!

This! I too have been looking for a small bodied Gibson. They seem to me to be all over the place. I read that you played it already and you like it and if you're comfortable with $1200, then, good luck!

It went for $1650, which would've been a steal if I knew for sure it was a keeper, but I wasn't ga-ga. And with the 13% buyer's premium, plus the coupla fixes, it was more than I needed to outlay,just for the chase.

And I know the FON and can see watch what happens when it hits the internets.

'Twas fun to think of--thanks for following along-

Wise move on your part. You have a good mix of guitars already.

FB, I would appreciate it if you refrain from exposing my strategy and shallowness.

Too funny...

Actually, the phone bidder opened at $1100 and dropped out at $1500. Two on-site bidders took it from there. Interesting--I will definitely watch for it at the upcoming show.

That was a close call, Anne!

Late to the party, I know, but now you will probably have to search out a way more expensive one to make up to yourself.

My 1959 is very, very nice and cost about 3 x that in US and another double everything to get it here via Fedex and Customs, but you know....look at it, maybe a little bit nicer than the auction number [biggrin] . Here it is on holiday a while back:

QF7CEoI.jpg

BluesKing777.

It went for $1650....

$1650 didn't seem like such a steal with the amount of work it needs but I am not that savvy with vintage pricing.

I don't get vintage pricing either. That's about the same price I paid for a mint condition 2011 New Hartford-built sunburst Guild jumbo F50R with ebony fretboard & bridge, AAA sitka top, DTAR dual source electronics, faux gator skin hardshell case... It even came with emeralds inlaid on the bridge pins and tuning posts. True, it's not a Gibson, and it's kind of the opposite of a small guitar, but still....

f50r559.jpg

It went for $1650, which would've been a steal if I knew for sure it was a keeper, but I wasn't ga-ga. And with the 13% buyer's premium, plus the coupla fixes...

What I meant here is, IF I had been really confident that it was the guitar for me to keep and use (to have and to hold, etc) for the rest of our natural lives, then, yes, at that sale price + 13% + minor repair, I think I would have been in for just around $2K, and that would have been a pretty good deal (even if "a steal" was an exaggeration).

But that price point didn't support the gamble, in my calculation, because, as we all know, all kinds of newer, wonderful guitars can be had...without said gamble...for that price.

Maybe I would enjoy the gamble if I had money to play with, but I count myself fortunate enough to be able to invest in my musical adventures; I'm not looking to invest for investment's sake.

It was alot of fun putting a toe in the water, though!

Archived