Gibson Brands Forums

Some Bottleneck on my 1952 Gibson LG1

BluesKing777

I tried the iRig Acoustic Stage mic in the soundhole of my 1952 Gibson LG1, preferred guitar for late night bottleneck without waking the whole street with my National - so here is my short instrumental loosely based on "Fall Down On My Knees" > guitar > iRig > A & H mixer > iMac......and don't let me forget my excruciatingly wonderful Diamond Bottlenecks "Blue Diamond"........made of Italian blue Murano glass - travelling in Merc style on slide! I may have to take it down the blues club and give it a shake...

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/knees77

BluesKing777.

Thanks all!

Yes, it was in Open D tuning....

My Blue Diamond was an earlier model made of blue bottles from Italy that they can't get anymore - has slightly more 'grit' than the others - 4 Diamonds and 2 brass and one chrome in the photo.....glass front left is the Redhouse; glass right is a Diamond Coricidin bottle ala Duane Allman et al; glass left back is an 'Ultimate' crystal; glass right back is the one in the recording, Blue Diamond!

I was trying all of the slides in the photo earlier on the same tune, but gravitated to the gritty Blue!

b1oCJ2v.jpg

BluesKing777.

I lost the only slide I could ever play with

Was a chrome one but very thin and light

Have a big fat one that clatters of the fretboard and makes more noise than I do on the strings

Have a glass on that is too fat also , can't get the fretting fingers and the slide to work together. Thin slides only for me

Been a lot of years since I tried

Yours sounds awesome Bk

I lost the only slide I could ever play with

Was a chrome one but very thin and light

Have a big fat one that clatters of the fretboard and makes more noise than I do on the strings

Have a glass on that is too fat also , can't get the fretting fingers and the slide to work together. Thin slides only for me

Been a lot of years since I tried

Yours sounds awesome Bk

Thanks BBG.

Yours is clattering on, and bruising, the frets. You can raise the strings a little bit to stop this, to try - put a match perhaps across the nut after loosening the strings.

The LG1 needs, among many things, a neck reset, but it suits me for slide just as it is, thanks very much. But you could pick up a cheap slide guitar if you find one that needs expensive neck reset

BluesKing777.

Awesome playing. Biting tone. Thanks.

I like the old pharmacy bottle, easier to grip a a bit softer sounding with more surface contact. still working with the peace ring thing too.

So how does the finger fit in that? Or do you hold it and play lap style?

Off to change strings now - rare event for bare finger playing, I broke a string on the OM18V, changing tunings - it must have died of old age! I only have some 80/20s til payday and will give them a try.

BluesKing777.

I palm it and lay the L0 across my lap using a 20 yr old Bill Lawrence sound hole PU run through a 70's era Fender Princeton Reverb with hefty gain and distortion, thus driving all humans and pets out the door and into the fields. Wish I could share.

I palm it and lay the L0 across my lap using a 20 yr old Bill Lawrence sound hole PU run through a 70's era Fender Princeton Reverb with hefty gain and distortion, thus driving all humans and pets out the door and into the fields. Wish I could share.

Grab one of these if you see one! Tapered in all the right spots for lap playing slide.....not a huge investment for the joy it could bring. [flapper]

Dunlop Lap Dawg:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dunlop-lap-dawg-chromed-brass-tonebar

BluesKing777.

I had a large Stephens bar ( steel bar for lap steel )......after I bought the Dunlop Lap Dog, way better for my single notes and more akin to a 4 cylinder turbo against a big block......

Yes, the Stephens got recalled for computer duties holding down the F10 key for software data processing I used to have to do.... [biggrin] (needed something heavy and slide shaped to lean from the main keyboard across the F key!

BluesKing777.

Archived