Gibson Brands Forums

Not Fade Away

johntrem

Hello All,

I have a 1996 Samick Artist Edition Series G-450, Samick's version of an SG. At the time these came in black, white and wine red. Mine's wine red, a darker, more burgundy looking red. I'd prefer it to look more like Heritage Cherry. Here's what I'm wondering-would letting it sit on a guitar stand in the sunny front window for a while result in the finish lightening somewhat? Or am I wasting my time? Had the red oak floors done in a hardwood finish about ten years ago and they've faded but it was done in an oil based stain, not poly. Also I don't want to wait ten years. Any comment?

Hi johntrem ---

I also have a wine red Samick Artist Series SG 450 and love it. Here's a pic:

PEdXQXg.jpg

No, it will not fade in sunlight, but they also made that guitar in cherry red as well as wine red.

samick-SG-450.jpg?itok=zzlh52l6

They seem to turn up from time to time on eBay in the $250 to $350 range, depending on condition. They have neck binding and a more correct body shape, plus to me they sound better than the Epiphone G-400's

I also have a cherry red one that I bought for $100 with a crack in the body. I've repaired the crack, now I'm planning to strip and paint it along the lines of Clapton's "The Fool" SG --- not a copy, but similarly psychedelic.

Archived