Gibson Brands Forums

sustain comparison

merciful-evans

This is quite old now (2013) so some of you will have seen it. Rob & Lee compare sustain (at the 26 minute point) here between PRS Core Custom 24 & SE Custom 24

Now the USA model pickups sustain longer. But..... they also feedback at the crucial point! Because of that, I think the test is questionable. If anything it may demonstrate that the USA pups are higher output.

Besides which, not everyone prefers more sustain. Do they?

It's all relative and personal choice.....

My most sustaining solid electric is a cheap MIC Tokai Firebird.....I believe due to the sheer length of the instrument....lots of wood behind the bridge....

I like P90's from various sources....they are not the most sustaining of P/U's but can be boosted with hi gain pedals.....

V

:-({|=

My PRS CE24 sustains clean for close to 3x as long as my PRS SE Tremonti. The nut and bridge on the SE are way lower quality. My only Gibson that sustains clean like the CE24 is my 2015 Les Paul Special DC with the titanium nut. I don't know why PRS really promotes the 45 second clean sustain but since I saw a video of Paul talking about it, I had to test it out. Yes, I am a geek like that.

The light blue one, whichever one that one was, sounded a lot better than the other. The note quickly went to feedback. It would have been better to hear how long it lasts with a clean tone. I'm curious as to how my Gibsons perform against. I think 7 to 10 seconds would be fairly easy to surpass. Where's the link for the 45 second sustain?

The light blue one, whichever one that one was, sounded a lot better than the other. The note quickly went to feedback. It would have been better to hear how long it lasts with a clean tone.

The light blue is the USA core model.

I agree it would be better to hear the clean tone comparison.

My 2 Gibsons have more sustain than any of my other guitars. (both are 57 Classics). Its actually more sustain than I prefer. A faster decay suits my style better.

Archived