Gibson Brands Forums

J45 from Wildwood

Jim Wilson

Greg K’s demo gives a good idea of the maple J-45 sound (supposing that the crispness could be brought down a little if desired, by using an old set of, say, DR Sunbeams, for example):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP9OyUJYZUk

Apparently, Greg hasn’t switched over to the de-caf yet.

The J-45 maple that I’ve got would probably not give the best first-hand impression of what the modern ones sound like, as those made in the ’40’s were most likely laminated, but I had a chance to play a contemporary one in a shop- liked it a lot, and as it had been there for a while, was at a very tempting price. I still think a modern maple J-45 would make for an interesting comparison.

If you really want to hear the maple, you gotta let the strings fade.

The older steel the more syrup will come forward.

And it'll loose the brittle edge burst talks about.

First then will we be able to actually judge how this wood sits in the mix.

I predict it'll be fat, slightly mushy, but warm. It'll work like effective, not particularly distinct, mortar down in the music.

If you really want to hear the maple, you gotta let the strings fade.

The older steel the more syrup will come forward.

And it'll loose the brittle edge burst talks about.

First then will we be able to actually judge how this wood sits in the mix.

I predict it'll be fat, slightly mushy, but warm. It'll work like effective, not particularly distinct, mortar down in the music.

This is truth...my Dove has strings over a year old on it. They've played several live shows, a couple of festivals and have made an album, and they're knee-deep in the nectar zone.

I think Maple has such a distinctly different crisp sound in any model. Even more so in something like a J45 vs something larger.

Greg is amazing. Look at his forearm extensors when he is finger picking. Looks like fasciculations (but we know they aren't cause he is in complete control).

Archived