Gibson Brands Forums

FOREIGNER LIVE

cookieman15061

As a 17 year old growing up in the 70s, part of every pay from my after school job went towards a new album. Boston's debut, The Cars first one and Foreigner's first record were among that vinyl collection. Finally got the chance to see them last night at our local outdoor pavilion and it was Gibson Heaven. Plenty of Les Pauls and SG action.

Of course Mick Jones is the only original member remaining and he's never met a power chord he didn't love but his leads were spot on fantastic. In fact this was one of the best mixed sound shows I think I've ever heard.

It was also nice to hear former lead singer Lou Gramm's name mentioned as Mick's co-writing partner before several songs.

Jason Bonham Experience and Cheap Trick were the openers and both had their moments although Trick seemed to wanna push songs from their new CD, leaving some of the great older stuff out of the set.

Great music on a beautiful night. Catch it if ya can.

I saw them out in Hershey and I thought that Foreigner and Bonham rocked. I really went to see Cheap Trick and was puzzled by their set list. The arena was pretty quiet for Cheap Trick because no one knew what they were playing until they played The Flame.

I saw them out in Hershey and I thought that Foreigner and Bonham rocked. I really went to see Cheap Trick and was puzzled by their set list. The arena was pretty quiet for Cheap Trick because no one knew what they were playing until they played The Flame.

Yeah,third time seeing CT for me and not near as good as the other times. Possibly the song selection. I'm not sure. They sounded fine, although Zander's voice doesn't have the range it once did. Was hoping to hear some of the real early stuff before Budakon.

Still a great rockin night!

I saw Foreigner a few years ago along with Styx and Don Felder.

They were really good and that singer did a great job with the Lou Graham stuff, but I think Mick was going through some health stuff at the time. He didn't even come out on stage until about 3 or 4 songs into the set and looked kinda worn down the whole time. He still played well though.

We saw Foreigner at the old Trump Marina, late 90's early 2000's, Lou's last time out, Mick was strong. They didn't have enough time to do everything people wanted. We were comped backstage and to the after party which was a lot of fun. Lou was...home, but not quite answering the door. I talked to him about Midnight Blue, one of my favorite songs of his, for about 5 minutes before realizing he had no idea what that song was. Mick was nice but only at the after thing for a few minutes. Metric tonnes of food and booze for what was supposed to go midnight to 3 but broke up about 1, 1:15 because Foreigner had all left.

rct

I saw Foreigner early in the 80's and again a couple of years ago with Journey headlining. Foreigner were the best. Journey were just so loud. It shook the building and there were loads walking out complaining that it was hurting their ears.

... Mick Jones is the only original member remaining and he's never met a power chord he didn't love but his leads were spot on fantastic.

[thumbup] Always thought his leads were great - they always fit the song but had enough flash to stand out. Glad to hear he's still got it.

I saw Ted Nugent circa 1977 in St. Paul, MN. The opening act was Zebra and Foreigner was the middle act. I had never heard of Zebra or Foreigner so I didn't know what to expect. All three bands were great and I became a Foreigner fan.

I saw Foreigner with Cheap Trick and Bonham in Charlotte on August 5th. Mick Jones wasn't with them that night. All around great show. I saw Foreigner with Def Leppard here in Columbia a few years ago and it was a fabulous concert.

I saw Foreigner with Cheap Trick and Bonham in Charlotte on August 5th. Mick Jones wasn't with them that night. All around great show. I saw Foreigner with Def Leppard here in Columbia a few years ago and it was a fabulous concert.

That brings up a question: If Mick Jones is the only original member and he quits or dies, can the band continue on using the name Foreigner? I guess it's a legality thing as to whether or not they can. But SHOULD they? 50 years from now, should grandchildren or second cousins of the original group, or the group as it is now continue using the name, playing the same songs, etc? Not just them but any band. Can or should the Allman Brothers band continue? There seems to be a trend of one original member continuing the band without the others. When that person is gone, is the band gone? I guess that's a whole different conversation as my mind wanders and derails everything.

Back to the original post: I saw them live back in or around 84 or 85 and they were good then. I got the Double Vision album when I got my first electric guitar for Christmas one year. Blue Morning, Blue Day is still one of my favorite songs. Saw them on Axxess TV recently in concert and they sounded great. Jeff Pilson, formerly of Dokken was playing bass.

((Corrected song title in my post))

Hey Cookie, Saw the show in Boston and sat right up front... I feel the same way Jason and Foreigner Rocked and Cheap Trick left everyone cold except for the last 3 or 4 songs... I managed to get a bunch of Cheap Trick pics and Mick Jones as well... [thumbup] Excellent concert!

One more thing about the Foreigner show, it was packed!

The crowd size blew me away! I go to maybe 2 shows a summer at our local outdoor amphitheater so I'm no expert but an old friend runs this one and said it's been a tough concert summer with few sellouts. They were really happy with how this show is drawing.

Archived