Gibson Brands Forums

Great Songwriting - Something Fine

MorrisrownSal

About a week or two back I tried writing a song that I hoped would convey well the sentiment of being troubled by world/country/etc but finding solace in a special someone. It wasn't a good song. Maybe I'll come back to it; some folks I respect a ton here have given good advice, I am just not ready to open that song again.

Especially after replaying one of my favorite Jackson Browne songs that does the above perfectly - something fine.

Anyways, I recorded that this morning. He uses a weird tuning; mine is standard, but tuned down a whole step. I played a 4 hour gig last night with my new Hummingbird with light-medium strings, so my finger tips are killing me. The J50 tuned down is manageable today.

Oh... and BBG - sorry about my legs. Control yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=869qPGvlH_o

Good job, Sal. I liked that, and I love that song. The J50 sure likes that dropped tuning.

If you try the tuning Duluthdan suggested, you can break into a rousing round of Running On Empty, as JB uses the same tuning for that. And it is magical, indeed.

Thanks for sharing, especially after a four hour gig. I'd be in a dazed stupor for a week after that much playing.

Roger

I was going to make a snarky comment about those sexy, sexy legs [flapper] but as I was formulating my comedic approach I got drawn in by the song and your performance. Great job! I do find it odd that so many clips of guitarists wearing shorts with the camera shot not including the face. It's like it is a "thing".

Thanks gents. Grunt... I always seem to find a way to get 85% of the way there. Sometimes its ok. I think this song would benefit from me getting the exact dropped A version down. The chords are gorgeous.

Its funny, I dont know why, but the way some of the chords gel together also reminds me of a Sara Bareilles song called basket case. Of course this predates her song, and her song is less about peace of mind and more about a really sad angst capitulation and resignation. Id often thought about trying her song, but it aint unisex. A guy cant sing it. Anyways, the chords in her song are also pretty cool.

Very nice indeed Sal.I remember once I found a good site with his songs..lyrics , chords , tunings etc. It was good to explore songs I didn't know.I purposely didn't listen to the songs just tried the tunings and chord progressions to see what melody I could come up with.Good writer for sure.

Sounding mighty fine, Sal.

There was a free form FM radio station in the Phoenix area when I was coming of age. They would play Jackson Browne album cuts that you couldn't hear anywhere else. I've been a fan of his for a long time. He's done a lot with the Watkins' in the last few years as well.

Great job !

How wonderful, Sal. I love that song and you did great, great vocal and the guitar sounds perfect. I am so glad I clicked in here because I was not aware of the dropped A! Weird, coming from one who has played a lot of alt tunings and is a huge JB fan. Looking forward to trying it.

Archived