Gibson Brands Forums

Underground Zipline Adventure

MichaelT

This is not music related in any way, except for the screaming of the people and the whirr of the lines.

For our three year anniversary, my wife got me a present. That present was an underground zipline adventure at Louisville Mega Cavern. http://louisvillemegacavern.com/attractions/mega-zips

I've wanted to go ziplining for some time, or so I thought. Don't get me wrong, it was amazing and fun but also quite scary. I'm not typically afraid of heights, particularly if I know I won't fall to my death or serious injury. Parachuting is off the table for me because that rope and chute, along with the feeling of falling 10,000 feet aren't my idea of a good time. This one, while semi-extreme for most, and very extreme for me, was a little bit more my speed.

The guides were fantastic. The harness was secure and I was never in fear of it coming apart or falling. We were tethered at all times to other cables when not ziplining. The most we could actually fall was a couple of feet. So I felt safe at all points except one.

When we were at each zipline starting point, there was a little platform to stand on and launch yourself off of them. I think there were 7 ziplines in total, as well as a couple suspension bridges. Standing on that little wooden box, and pushing off into mid-air and riding the line down was VERY tough when I was looking down 100 feet or so. One of the lines was 900 feet in length and we were pretty high up most of the time, doing 30-40 mph on the line. One of the scariest things I've done in my life was stepping off that ledge at the beginning of each line. The harness was like a seat and it held all our weight. There were handlebars to grip and steer with, if you so desired. One of the most relieved times in my life was when I got to the other side and feet back on solid ground.

It was really fun, really cool and being able to go with her and having a good group and good guides made me feel safe and able to do it. I did tell them, however, that they might need to replace my handlebars because I was pretty sure my grip on them each time had worn grooves into them and bent them. [biggrin]

I'd seen it done on TV and always said I wanted to do it. After doing it, I can say that I have. I'd go again if someone wanted to but I'm glad I got that out of my system. I'm sure it would have been more fun for me at age 22 instead of (almost) 52. Had they taken pictures along the way, I'm sure they'd have caught some pretty good expressions. I wish I had brought my phone or her phone to take pictures but we knew it would be our luck that we would be the ones who would drop their phones and lose them.

So, the moral and point of the story is "holy crap!" Scary but fun, if you're into high speed rides underground, 100 feet or so above the cavern floor, sliding along a steel cable at 30 miles per hour, certain that at any moment you're going to plunge to your death. I think next weekend will be a couch adventure weekend where we just sit on the couch and don't do much of anything.

There is a bonus to all this. At the entrance of the zipline adventure, there IS an adult diaper dispenser! Thankfully we didn't need them. So, if anyone has done this or wants to do it, this is my remembrance of last Saturday. Lots of AAAAHHHHH! And a bit of WHEEEE! And some "HOLY CRAP!" And, upon landing, lots of "WHEW!"

I'd love to zipline through a rainforest some time. She gave me the option of an outdoor zipline or through the forest. I thought the underground one would be cool.

Having done it, taking that leap of faith and jumping off an edge 100 feet in the air where you can see the lights down below and how far down it is was pretty scary and exciting at the same time. I'd do it again and will probably still have that white knuckled grip of death once I go over the edge, even though I'm fully supported by the harness.

100 feet is a VERY long way down. I'm definitely not the extreme sports kind of person. It was a stretch for me and overcoming that instant fear was difficult each time. It's a long way down and all kinds of death, broken bones, internal damage and pain can happen at that height. I felt secure in the harness and everything but that first step off was a real doozy.

Oh, I'd LOVE to try that! Absolutely!!!

Two-and-a-half hours start-to-finish? Sounds like a great experience. Many tourist attrations are over far too soon but 150 minutes is OK by anybody's standards. I don't know if I'll ever be in Kentucky but if ever I do get there that trip will definitely be on my 'To Do' list.

Very interesting history to the cavern, too.

Thanks for posting.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Oh, I'd LOVE to try that! Absolutely!!!

Two-and-a-half hours start-to-finish? Sounds like a great experience. Many tourist attrations are over far too soon but 150 minutes is OK by anybody's standards. I don't know if I'll ever be in Kentucky but if ever I do get there that trip will definitely be on my 'To Do' list.

Very interesting history to the cavern, too.

Thanks for posting.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

If you ever DO get out this way, definitely let me know. I'd love to meet up, play a little, show you around Bourbon Country, which is where I am.

If you ever DO get out this way, definitely let me know. I'd love to meet up, play a little, show you around Bourbon Country, which is where I am.

Thank you for the offer, Michael.

I would be happy to take you up on your offer!

Pip.

Thank you for the offer, Michael.

I would be happy to take you up on your offer!

Pip.

I may be going to the UK some time in the next 6 - 9 months as well. Our company owns a distributer over there just southwest of London. I'll let you know when/if I head that way as well.

Archived