Gibson Brands Forums

'08 J-45 ~ Soft-V neck profile question

GuitarPlayer919

I have a nice Gibson J-45.. It's one of the 167 Limited Edition models made in 2008 (J-45 VOS) True Vintage guitars.

I really like the guitar AND neck which I believe is "Soft V"....

Anyways.. I am searching for a 2nd guitar and wondered what other

Gibson models have this 'vintage neck profile'.

d8JurMWl.jpg

This little J-45 12 fret has a very nice soft V profile.......very comfortable. This one is a southpaw and has the custom shop decal on the headstock and could well be a one-off, custom order by the high profile left hand specialty shop that is thankfully not far from my home. Though there must be some out there I've not seen another J-45 12 fret build, lefty or righty. The body is the normal slope shouldered 45 but the short neck makes this guitar feel very compact and accessible.......I'm really, really diggin' this one!

kVUSJI3.jpg?1

My J-45 Vintage 14 fret build does not have the soft V, rather a nice medium size C shape profile........quite comfortable as well.

Happy hunting!

Neck profiles are one of the biggest advantages I can think of in terms of Bozeman-made Gibsons. I love V necks and have a number of old guitars with neck profiles ranging from soft to a hard V. As far as I know though, Gibson never produced a J-45 with anything but a roundback D neck up through 1959 after which they went to that low action fast playing neck (or whatever they called it). The only Gibson I own with a V neck is a 1935 Capital archtop. It is just nice to be able to buy something like a Hummingbird which is now available with a beefier neck profile and more generous nut width than the originals had.

I recall Tony P's review of the 30s style 2015 L-00 in Ebony (dealer's run, I believe) as having the soft-V neck. I'm curious about that model but have never tried one. The vintage V shape would take some getting used to, so I've been wondering if a 'soft V' profile would feel less foreign.

Hmmm...

This little J-45 12 fret has a very nice soft V profile.......very comfortable. This one is a southpaw and has the custom shop decal on the headstock and could well be a one-off, custom order by the high profile left hand specialty shop that is thankfully not far from my home. Though there must be some out there I've not seen another J-45 12 fret build, lefty or righty. The body is the normal slope shouldered 45 but the short neck makes this guitar feel very compact and accessible.......I'm really, really diggin' this one!

kVUSJI3.jpg

My J-45 Vintage 14 fret build does not have the soft V, rather a nice medium size C shape profile........quite comfortable as well.

Happy hunting!

I just adore that 12 fretter of yours, Buc. Something about it just makes me grin every time I see it and remember how great it sounds. If there was ever such a thing in right handed config I'd be all over that like a rabbit up a drainpipe! Great to hear you're enjoying it so much too.

Buc, I am surprised that your 12 fretter has a soft v. I've never heard of a J-45 with a v. The v necks on the 1930s era are almost unplayable for me at least barred chords are. My thumb can't find a secure place to grip.

My old '97 "Early" J45 had a soft V. Lovely neck, I've never come across another quite like it.

Buc, I am surprised that your 12 fretter has a soft v. I've never heard of a J-45 with a v.

I dunno. As I said, perhaps it was ordered this way by the shop.......it's definitely there.

Happy to hear little Shorty makes you grin, Jinder! Certainly does it for me! [biggrin]

I recall Tony P's review of the 30s style 2015 L-00 in Ebony (dealer's run, I believe) as having the soft-V neck. I'm curious about that model but have never tried one. The vintage V shape would take some getting used to, so I've been wondering if a 'soft V' profile would feel less foreign.

Hmmm...

The vintage v neck felt great in my hand from the first time I picked it up. It did take 3 or 4 days for me to really get used to playing it though.

Archived