Gibson Brands Forums

Show Me Your Gibson Goldtone Amps

RevDavidLee

Yes. Yes it is! [thumbup]

I see you have what looks like the GA15RV?? if so, this is basically two of those amps bolted on to one chassis. Same sort of control options, Volume w/Pull gain, Tone and Reverb. The 30 watt is wired in stereo (hence the "S" in model name.) The reverb is stereo imaged, they called it "surround sound reverb", and no lie, sounds like it's coming from behind you if you are in front of the amp facing it.

The tone is creamy, thick, and it cranks.

Offers both parallel and serial fx loops (Stereo capable as well) although these do add some noise for some reason. The only REAL down side is it weighs about 90lbs, not something you want to be hauling around all that much.

I see you have what looks like the GA15RV?? if so, this is basically two of those amps bolted on to one chassis. Same sort of control options, Volume w/Pull gain, Tone and Reverb. The 30 watt is wired in stereo (hence the "S" in model name.) The reverb is stereo imaged, they called it "surround sound reverb", and no lie, sounds like it's coming from behind you if you are in front of the amp facing it.

Offers both parallel and serial fx loops (Stereo capable as well) although these do add some noise for some reason. The only REAL down side is it weighs about 90lbs, not something you want to be hauling around all that much.

I remember Mars Music trying to blow some out with some really good prices. I went and looked but man, them were heavy and I was already using good sounding heavy amps.

rct

Yea man, if you're going to be moving em a lot, not a great option.. they are beastly

the first one was delivered in pieces, had been destroyed in shipping, UPS replaced it, but it took a few months to resolve.

That was a floor model bought at a reduced price from EM Shorts. (it was the older style cab, lighter brown with an angled cab)

The new one had improved the covering, cab was a little more rugged, no additional costs.

!Winning!

Those two mid-sized amps are the GA-15 and the GA-15RV (from left to right) and I hear ya on that GA-30RVS - mine weighs just under 90 pounds & it stays in the studio as I prefer that my spine stays working [wink]

Back in 2006 I visited the Musicians Friend warehouse in Kansas City with Robert Keeley & another friend, John Richards. At that time they had half a dozen Gibson Goldtone heads (all had broken or missing logos) but they were blowing them out quite reasonably. If I had known then that these were or were going to be discontinued - I would have bought them all. Dang it. :blink:

yep definitely nice amps, I almost jumped on a Super Goldtone (Is that one I see in the back ground in your photo). That soon after I bought that one, but at the time, I couldn't justify it. looking back, I should have thought harder about that.

...not pictured is my Gibson GA-20rvt [thumbup]

I don't have any Goldtones but I do have the Epiphone version of your Minuteman.. the EA-26 RVT.

Identical schematic I believe... 15 watts from 2 EL84s... deep tremolo and reverb... great sounding amp. [thumbup]

yNTfgEAl.jpg

This article says the Gibson GA-5 Les Paul Jr amp has the same schematic as the Fender Champ FC-1 [omg]

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21037-undervalued-gear-the-gibson-les-paul-junior-ga-5-amplifier

I did not know that :o

That was a really good article - not just about Champs and GA5s - but some good tube amp wisdom all around. [thumbup]

So what's the value of some of these Goldtone Amps?

I found this one on Craigslist this morning.

A Gibson GA-30RVS stereo 212 amp, used by Joe Perry during the Just Push Play era.

The guy wants $750.00 for it. Considering the GA-5 is an amp in the $450-$500 range, this could be a good buy.

This article says the Gibson GA-5 Les Paul Jr amp has the same schematic as the Fender Champ FC-1 [omg]

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21037-undervalued-gear-the-gibson-les-paul-junior-ga-5-amplifier

I did not know that :o

Interesting article. They're talking about how the Fenders had better tone/volume circuits. That Kalamazoo that I modded - I changed the volume/tone circuit so it's exactly like a Tweed Deluxe and it completely opened up the amp. It sounded pretty bad before.

Archived