Gibson Brands Forums

Eclipse and Les Paul

NighthawkChris

Guest Farnsbarns

It pretty much was. I totally disagreed with the guy and said so but reading the the replies there were so many people that formed an Internet lynch mob that attacked that threads OP and wanted the OP of that thread banned.

That's the kind of stuff I don't get. How do these "ban em!!!!" types function in real life? If they get into a heated argument in real life do they just start demanding someone come and silence the person they're arguing with?

We know what you do when you argue in real life don't we. You told us all about it. You "stomp" them, I think was the expression. Well done you.

We know what you do when you argue in real life don't we. You told us all about it. You "stomp" them, I think was the expression. Well done you.

I never said any such thing. Quote me or I'm afraid I'm just going to have to call you a liar.

All my posts are still here so run along and get a quote where I said anything about stomping anyone over an argument. Really, how sad is it I'm so in your head you have to lie like that?

this thread is way more fun than this:

41D9tWHHfAL._SY355_.jpg

active pickups get a bad rap, but they do alot more than metal. some jazz players like em because of the awesome cleans they can do. they get accused of being sterile, and in some ways, i understand where that comes from. but i really feel like some guys who are good at knob twiddling can play them and you'd never know.

while i have never owned an esp, i have played a couple here and there. they were cool guitars. they wont sound like a gibson with the knobs wide open, but they do sound good, and the ones i tried played well, and felt nice in my hands.

Some run ins? I once asked how Gibson accoustics compared to Masterbilts and was told about a hundred times "only you can decide" ....even though I said I knew that in my very first post and asked for actual opinions in that thread.

That's what I mean about being wrong about guitar players bring creative, or individualistic. If someone asks you your opinion on a restaurant....or a car.....or a movie.....or a hotel....would you say "only you can decide.....we're all different..... try them all"?

But if you ask how a guitar compares here, you get endless responses of...."everyone is different.....only you can decide". Over and over and over I explained that I wasn't asking anyone to tell me what guitar to be....I was asking for opinions. That simple concept was too much for a lot of guys who replied apparently.

The Gibson acoustic section here seems to be full of old women.

The thread I remember is this one, which was pretty much closed due to you. But, I really don't care all that much to go search threads for a whole lot of silliness and such. I'm fairly certain there was something about insults being thrown around, bodily injury being threatened, then deleted and then locked.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/137097-les-paul-custom-20th-anni-rare-back-headstock/

And the same type of behavior is going on in this thread. Some of us haven't played an ESP for one reason or another but know people who have and give opinions based on that. I can't say any certain facts about ESP other than I don't have any desire to have one at this time.

The answer of "everyone is different, only you can decide" is a valid statement, though not often very helpful if people are seeking more information. I'm fairly certain that they can find a lot of the information they want, particularly on the ESP guitar forums and various videos which I posted links for. I didn't do the research myself because I simply don't care about ESP but I thought I'd do a search and see if that helps. Apparently it did. I'm not sure what you're all bent out of shape for over this thread and others. It's just a message board on the internet. If I asked a question about opinions, that's fine. I'd read their opinions, then go play the guitar and see what I think. Even the PRS thread got me to try them out to find out that in my opinion, they don't blow away a Les Paul. Some people think that PRS does blow away a Les Paul and I'm happy they have a guitar they like. I sure like mine.

How can you not see that your post of "The Gibson acoustic section here seems to be full of old women" isn't inflammatory? Is that supposed to be an insult to the people who post there? An insult to old women? What's wrong with old women? That may be your perception, from your point of view but it's not a very nice thing to say about the people who post there nor the old women you're comparing them to.

Those types of things are the run-ins I was talking about when I posted. And the OP seems to believe that some people in this thread have been helpful. That's all that really matters, not whether or not you think people were being helpful.

Guest Farnsbarns

I never said any such thing. Quote me or I'm afraid I'm just going to have to call you a liar.

All my posts are still here so run along and get a quote where I said anything about stomping anyone over an argument. Really, how sad is it I'm so in your head you have to lie like that?

As you know, the post was deleted because the moderators felt it contravened the rules. That said, you go ahead and call me liar, I won't lose any sleep.

As you know, the post was deleted because the moderators felt it contravened the rules. That said, you go ahead and call me liar, I won't lose any sleep.

As I know? I know I never said anything about stomping anyone. That's a straight up lie.

And look at that .......you don't have a quote. Very convenient how that post was "erased".

What else would you call a liar besides a liar? You lied....you're a liar.

The thread I remember is this one, which was pretty much closed due to you. But, I really don't care all that much to go search threads for a whole lot of silliness and such. I'm fairly certain there was something about insults being thrown around, bodily injury being threatened, then deleted and then locked.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/137097-les-paul-custom-20th-anni-rare-back-headstock/

And the same type of behavior is going on in this thread. Some of us haven't played an ESP for one reason or another but know people who have and give opinions based on that. I can't say any certain facts about ESP other than I don't have any desire to have one at this time.

The answer of "everyone is different, only you can decide" is a valid statement, though not often very helpful if people are seeking more information. I'm fairly certain that they can find a lot of the information they want, particularly on the ESP guitar forums and various videos which I posted links for. I didn't do the research myself because I simply don't care about ESP but I thought I'd do a search and see if that helps. Apparently it did. I'm not sure what you're all bent out of shape for over this thread and others. It's just a message board on the internet. If I asked a question about opinions, that's fine. I'd read their opinions, then go play the guitar and see what I think. Even the PRS thread got me to try them out to find out that in my opinion, they don't blow away a Les Paul. Some people think that PRS does blow away a Les Paul and I'm happy they have a guitar they like. I sure like mine.

How can you not see that your post of "The Gibson acoustic section here seems to be full of old women" isn't inflammatory? Is that supposed to be an insult to the people who post there? An insult to old women? What's wrong with old women? That may be your perception, from your point of view but it's not a very nice thing to say about the people who post there nor the old women you're comparing them to.

Those types of things are the run-ins I was talking about when I posted. And the OP seems to believe that some people in this thread have been helpful. That's all that really matters, not whether or not you think people were being helpful.

That thread definitely shows Farnsworth's obsession with me. And it's interesting how it was closed because of me when there were multiple people attacking me in it. That RCT guy and (as evidenced by this thread) Farnsworth have kind of a thing for me. Look at Farnsworth's first reply to me in that thread, he said a comment I made about tuners being changed on a 45 year old guitar not being a big deal was a "crock".

But that thread was definitely shut down because of me. After all I'm the one that ran to a mod because I was so offended by adults arguing.

My comment about the acoustic section being full of old women is based on the way they act. If they don't act like old women.....why would they be offended?

And "only you can decide" is great, really really helpful advice........ especially about the 1,000th time you've heard it.

It's Especially helpful in a thread where in the OP the OP explained that he's very aware "only you can decide" and thus nobody needs to reply with that comment.

I mean, call me crazy....but if a thread OP says "I know everyone is different and only I can decide but I'd appreciate advice" and people repeatedly reply with "nobody can make that decision for you....only you can decide" I have to assume their reading comprehension is pretty terrible or they just didn't bother reading the question in the first place.

That's what I mean about a lot of guitarists on forums not being that bright. When someone REPEATEDLY explains that they know we're all different.....and they REPEATEDLY explain that they're not asking anyone to pick out a guitar for them.....they just want just recommendations and advice from people with firsthand experience.........and multiple people STILL respond with "nobody can make that choice for you" .....what other conclusion can you make other than they're simply not that bright?

I mean.....I assume we've all eaten out at restaurants right? And I assume most adults have at one time or another asked their server for a recommendation or opinion on food or beer or wine..because the server has first hand experience with and knowledge of the product being served....right? Now if you asked a server for a recommendation or opinion and he or she replied "everyone is different, only you can decide" you'd think he was either an idiot or a huge jerk.

If someone asks your opinion on a movie..,,or how you like your car....or your phone....or any of the billions of other things people compare .....and you replied "only you can decide, everyone is different" do you think that's helpful advice?

Like I said repeatedly in that thread.....I don't get why the concept of asking for advice and opinions on a Gibson acoustic.....in a Gibson acoustic forum.....is so confusing or difficult to comprehend.

I totally forgot that you threatened me in that LPC/tuners thread. You still taking screenshots of everything I write to show people in the "real world"?

Guest Farnsbarns

I totally forgot that you threatened me in that LPC/tuners thread. You still taking screenshots of everything I write to show people in the "real world"?

Yup.

well in all fairness, the entire topic was a clinic in trolling..

those threads are not all that common in this forum.

Take a bit of time and cruise the Fender Forum.. you won't have to wait long to find the angst that flows from those pages.

In my experience most guitar forums are 90% "HNGD" or "Check out my new score" and you better not stray too far from safe, bland guitar topics like those.

If you have an actual opinion people want you banned. Like the guy that said he preferred PRS to LP. I didn't read the whole thread so I can't comment on whether he was legit trolling or just stating an opinion, but either way I'd just tell him why he's wrong. PRS may sound and play great but I'd never know because they're fugly as hell IMO so I'd never play one in the first place.

On another Les Paul forum I once asked what was so special about 58-60 LP that makes them so superior to modern guitars and people instantly called me a troll and demanded I be banned. I wasn't trolling, I genuinely don't get why people think 58-60 Bursts/LP are magic. I get that they're historically Important, I get that they're really rare so I get their value as collectibles....but in an average guitarists hands they're just guitars, great guitars but just wood and pickups. The other poster's responses basically were "they just are, it's obvious" but nobody could say why or give any empirical evidence for them being better than modern guitars. You just have to have faith that they are and if you don't you're an infidel.

I recently read a book about those 58-60 Bursts and the reverence they're held in just baffles me, it's almost like a religion, but if you say that a lot of guys just go berserk. I mean 58-60 Bursts were just mass produced factory guitars.

My favorite guitarists used Juniors and Norlin era Gibsons mostly and I honestly prefer hearing Pete Townshend playing a 70s Deluxe or Steve Jones playing a 70s LPC over Jimmy Page and his million dollar 58-60 Bursts.

Guest Farnsbarns

The sun just came out here. Was all grey and gloomy and quite suddenly the clouds broke and out came the sun. Hopefully it'll be a nice day!

It was lovely yesterday and I was off work and home alone. I spent most of the day sitting on the patio, at our new table. Good for your health to have a day with your thoughts and nothing else.

That thread definitely shows Farnsworth's obsession with me. And it's interesting how it was closed because of me when there were multiple people attacking me in it. That RCT guy and (as evidenced by this thread) Farnsworth have kind of a thing for me. Look at Farnsworth's first reply to me in that thread, he said a comment I made about tuners being changed on a 45 year old guitar not being a big deal was a "crock".

But that thread was definitely shut down because of me. After all I'm the one that ran to a mod because I was so offended by adults arguing.

My comment about the acoustic section being full of old women is based on the way they act. If they don't act like old women.....why would they be offended?

And "only you can decide" is great, really really helpful advice........ especially about the 1,000th time you've heard it.

It's Especially helpful in a thread where in the OP the OP explained that he's very aware "only you can decide" and thus nobody needs to reply with that comment.

I mean, call me crazy....but if a thread OP says "I know everyone is different and only I can decide but I'd appreciate advice" and people repeatedly reply with "nobody can make that decision for you....only you can decide" I have to assume their reading comprehension is pretty terrible or they just didn't bother reading the question in the first place.

That's what I mean about a lot of guitarists on forums not being that bright. When someone REPEATEDLY explains that they know we're all different.....and they REPEATEDLY explain that they're not asking anyone to pick out a guitar for them.....they just want just recommendations and advice from people with firsthand experience.........and multiple people STILL respond with "nobody can make that choice for you" .....what other conclusion can you make other than they're simply not that bright?

I mean.....I assume we've all eaten out at restaurants right? And I assume most adults have at one time or another asked their server for a recommendation or opinion on food or beer or wine..because the server has first hand experience with and knowledge of the product being served....right? Now if you asked a server for a recommendation or opinion and he or she replied "everyone is different, only you can decide" you'd think he was either an idiot or a huge jerk.

If someone asks your opinion on a movie..,,or how you like your car....or your phone....or any of the billions of other things people compare .....and you replied "only you can decide, everyone is different" do you think that's helpful advice?

Like I said repeatedly in that thread.....I don't get why the concept of asking for advice and opinions on a Gibson acoustic.....in a Gibson acoustic forum.....is so confusing or difficult to comprehend.

I get what you're saying but if there's a non-helpful post, I usually skip over it. I don't see you offering an opinion or valuable data about the original post either. And, the restaurant comparison is fair but then again, everyone's taste buds and things they like or don't like are all different as well. A server might say that X is delicious but to me it may not be. Still, we ask, don't we? I don't think I would say that the person is an idiot or jerk because I don't think that way of people unless they are intentionally being that way.

I don't get the old women comparison and saying that people aren't too bright. How don't you see that as being insulting? I know quite a few old women that I respect. There's lots of levels of intelligence, knowledge and experience out there. Someone may or may not be more intelligent than their car mechanic but guess who's working on your car? It sure isn't going to be me working on a car. I probably could do it if I learned how. I choose to pursue other knowledge.

I agree that "only you can decide" is an easy and not so helpful answer in many cases when talking about guitars. It's true in many cases though. I've played lots of guitars of various brands but I obviously don't own one of every brand or model because I played them and found what I like. And, you could be right about some people not reading through a post or responses completely before responding with not so helpful posts. This happens all the time throughout life. Berating them doesn't typically do much good, nor does berating those people who are typically helpful and provide useful information.

In any case, I think these arguments or debates you're posting in this thread are better suited for private discussion with the appropriate members rather than derail someone's thread with bickering and such.

Hey there. My friend has 2 ESP eclipses and both are wonderful guitars. They came with EMG pickups and sound great. I'm more of a traditionalist but I did own a viper and that was great till I sold to my drummer who loved it. I'd say try to play one. If not they do pop up cheaper sometimes.

Have never played an actual ESP Eclipse before, but I have been a bit curious. How does the Eclipse compare to the Les Paul? I wonder which I would like better if I had them side by side... I just know ESP has been around quite some time and they make some nice looking guitars - goes without saying about Gibson. If I spent "LP money" on an ESP, would I be happy with it? Would ESP perhaps offer a better deal for the money? Too many questions! Anyhow, thoughts are greatly appreciated.

ESP has the ESP Made in Japan/Made in USA, E-II, and the LTD line with the ESP being equivalent to the Gibson high end and custom shop, the E-II would be similar to the Ibanez Premium series, and the LTD would be closest to the Epiphone line. The Eclipse models tend to thinner bodies and necks compared to a Gibson, extra jumbo frets, and a mix of active EMG's, passive Seymour Duncans, and LTD branded pickups on the lower end guitars. Also, you only get three knobs, volume, volume, and tone. Not exactly a Les Paul but generally good quality on the LTD and amazing by the time you work your way up to ESP, but they aren't cheap.

Archived