Gibson Brands Forums

Eclipse and Les Paul

NighthawkChris

Have never played an actual ESP Eclipse before, but I have been a bit curious. How does the Eclipse compare to the Les Paul? I wonder which I would like better if I had them side by side... I just know ESP has been around quite some time and they make some nice looking guitars - goes without saying about Gibson. If I spent "LP money" on an ESP, would I be happy with it? Would ESP perhaps offer a better deal for the money? Too many questions! Anyhow, thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Have never played an actual ESP Eclipse before, but I have been a bit curious. How does the Eclipse compare to the Les Paul? I wonder which I would like better if I had them side by side... I just know ESP has been around quite some time and they make some nice looking guitars - goes without saying about Gibson. If I spent "LP money" on an ESP, would I be happy with it? Would ESP perhaps offer a better deal for the money? Too many questions! Anyhow, thoughts are greatly appreciated.

A Gibson board probably isn't the best place to ask how an ESP compares to a Gibson.

It's like going to a Chevrolet site and asking how Fords compare.

Not trying to start a war here... it's a fair question for those that have played both. I am member here and I appreciate LPs. Just thought I'd ask and something to BS about I the forum. I have owned many Gibson's over the years. For all I know the Eclipse is a piece... I don't know, just wanted to ask this somewhere since the Eclipse is the LP design for the most part and the price tag is like a Gibson too. I just thought I wouldn't get too biased an answer here, bit maybe this place only likes Gibson's... my apologies then, bad question to ask.

I didn't mean anything about starting a war, I just meant you're not likely to get an honest, unbiased opinion about how an ESP compares to a Gibson on a Gibson site. You'd probably get a more honest comparison on a generic guitar site where all guitars are discussed.

And don't worry, I didn't think you were trying to start a "war" and wouldn't care if you were. If someone says something I don't like or agree with I'll just argue my viewpoint, but your question isn't inflammatory at all.

All I know about ESP guitars is that they have a good reputation among players. Craftsmanship is praised as with most instruments made in Japan. As always, the rest is more a matter of taste I guess. Anyway, I never tried one of them, mostly because all I met came with active EMG pickups and finish options were extremely limited.

I don't think there are lots of ESP owners aboard, but to my feel people here are quite unbiased, despite the fact that this is a Gibson Family of Brands forum. By far the most forumites are players and tone seekers who have developed their own taste and sense of using certain instruments for particular songs and styles. I think there is nothing wrong with making the question a topic here. I'm curious about experiences and opinions to show up here.

All I know about ESP guitars is that they have a good reputation among players. Craftsmanship is praised as with most instruments made in Japan. As always, the rest is more a matter of taste I guess. Anyway, I never tried one of them, mostly because all I met came with active EMG pickups and finish options were extremely limited.

I don't think there are lots of ESP owners aboard, but to my feel people here are quite unbiased, despite the fact that this is a Gibson Family of Brands forum. By far the most forumites are players and tone seekers who have developed their own taste and sense of using certain instruments for particular songs and styles. I think there is nothing wrong with making the question a topic here. I'm curious about experiences and opinions to show up here.

Unbiased? I dont agree with that at all, people here are incredibly sensitive and get defensive real quick if they think you're attacking whatever they happen to play. I always thought guitar players were creative, open minded, individualistic etc before the internet. But judging by guitar forums most guitarists are whiny, overly sensitive, and not that bright. If you say something someone doesn't like it takes about .0000005 seconds before they're off running to the mods demanding you be banned.

I said I didn't think 58-59 LPs are magic or superior to modern guitars on a LP forum once and you would have thought I'd insulted everyone's mothers.

Go to the Epiphone portion of this forum and say anything that sounds remotely negative about Epiphone LP and see how that goes for you.

Personally I've never understood why if you don't like what someone says or if you think they're wrong why you wouldn't just argue the point with them. But a lot of guitarists just want anyone not in lockstep thoughtwise with them banned.

Unbiased? I dont agree with that at all, people here are incredibly sensitive and get defensive real quick if they think you're attacking whatever they happen to play. I always thought guitar players were creative, open minded, individualistic etc before the internet. But judging by guitar forums most guitarists are whiny, overly sensitive, and not that bright. If you say something someone doesn't like it takes about .0000005 seconds before they're off running to the mods demanding you be banned.

I said I didn't think 58-59 LPs are magic or superior to modern guitars on a LP forum once and you would have thought I'd insulted everyone's mothers.

Go to the Epiphone portion of this forum and say anything that sounds remotely negative about Epiphone LP and see how that goes for you.

Personally I've never understood why if you don't like what someone says or if you think they're wrong why you wouldn't just argue the point with them. But a lot of guitarists just want anyone not in lockstep thoughtwise with them banned.

No offence intended, but I do not agree that this is the spirit of the Forum Gibson. To my experiences most members here are individualistic and same time open-minded, own guitars of several brands, post about them here and are well aware that it's all about personal tastes and demands. They don't flame somebody posting about a guitar made by the competition or not matching their taste. I remember congratulations posted by a Gibson Customer Service staff member into an NGD thread about a Fender Telecaster in the Gibson Lounge.

Furthermore, guitar makers know well what sets them apart from the competition, and that there is no sense in trying to make all other concepts and builds unnecessary. Different brands and makes have their specific features. Some can be seen as objective advantages or drawbacks, but lots of desired characteristics depend on the demands of the player in a given situation. For instance, why should I frantically try to achieve the fat, chunky sound of a Les Paul using a Stratocaster, or the glassy, sparkling tone of a Stratocaster's pickup combinations with a Les Paul? They are jobs for the respective guitar models, they are rightly famous for doing them well, and so I use them accordingly.

Guest Farnsbarns

Yeah, and if you don't like a forum, stop visiting it, it probably doesn't like you much. If you've found people have been sensitive perhaps look at the way you communicate. It might be that you have a passive agressive, generalistic, distasteful and insulting style of communication. Could be something else of course.

Yeah, and if you don't like a forum, stop visiting it, it probably doesn't like you much. If you've found people have been sensitive perhaps look at the way you communicate. It might be that you have a passive agressive, generalistic, distasteful and insulting style of communication. Could be something else of course.

Speaking of passive aggressive........

No offence intended, but I do not agree that this is the spirit of the Forum Gibson. To my experiences most members here are individualistic and same time open-minded, own guitars of several brands, post about them here and are well aware that it's all about personal tastes and demands. They don't flame somebody posting about a guitar made by the competition or not matching their taste. I remember congratulations posted by a Gibson Customer Service staff member into an NGD thread about a Fender Telecaster in the Gibson Lounge.

Furthermore, guitar makers know well what sets them apart from the competition, and that there is no sense in trying to make all other concepts and builds unnecessary. Different brands and makes have their specific features. Some can be seen as objective advantages or drawbacks, but lots of desired characteristics depend on the demands of the player in a given situation. For instance, why should I try frantically to achieve the fat, chunky sound of a Les Paul using a Stratocaster, or the glassy, sparkling tone of a Stratocaster's pickup combinations with a Les Paul? They are jobs for the respective guitar models, they are rightly famous for doing them well, and so I use them accordingly.

If you say so. I just know there are very thin skinned "passive aggressive" types lurking on these boards.......

If they don't like what someone has to say they could just ignore it...or argue it like an adult....but....they don't. They'd rather complain and whine and report.

Guest Farnsbarns

If you say so. I just know there are very thin skinned "passive aggressive" types lurking on these boards.......

If they don't like what someone has to say they could just ignore it...or argue it like an adult....but....they don't. They'd rather complain and whine and report.

It's because no one has any interest in your input. That's because of the way you conduct yourself.

It's because no one has any interest in your input. That's because of the way you conduct yourself.

Are you just not aware of the ignore function?

Because I'm wondering why an adult would be so obsessed with ....and angry at ...... a stranger ......who they claim to have no interest in.......when they could just put that person on ignore?

meanwhile, back to the original post....

Hi Chris,

They are actually pretty good guitars, a good friend of mine has just picked one up off flea bay. A black one with humbuckers (Seymour Duncan SH1 and JB) I Think he said he paid around $200 for it w/ OHSC case. I'm not going to go into any diatribe about comparisons, as these really are totally subjective. that is something you would really have to sort out on your own.

But it does stand well on it's own, pretty solid feel to it, clean fret work, over all well built and arrives w/good hardware. For that kind of money IMO a pretty good deal over all. (I'm not sure I like the design of their headstocks, but that's just me.)

About being thin skinned, I'm not sure that kind of mentality rules this forum. If you want to have a legit mature thread about another brand's considerations verses another (even with Gibson being "the other", this is probably one of the more amiable forums to have that kind of discussion.

Guest Farnsbarns

Are you just not aware of the ignore function?

Because I'm wondering why an adult would be so obsessed with ....and angry at ...... a stranger ......who they claim to have no interest in.......when they could just put that person on ignore?

I'm neither obsessed nor angry. I just enjoy trolling trolls. I don't need a function to ignore someone. I pity those who can't ignore someone without a computer to do it for them.

I'm neither obsessed nor angry. I just enjoy trolling trolls. I don't need a function to ignore someone. I pity those who can't ignore someone without a computer to do it for them.

Interesting response....you know....since you don't care what I have to say and all.

I'll let you get back to being passive aggressive, obsessed and angry.

Guest Farnsbarns

Interesting response....you know....since you don't care what I have to say and all.

I'll let you get back to being passive aggressive, obsessed and angry.

Cheers.

A Gibson board probably isn't the best place to ask how an ESP compares to a Gibson.

It's like going to a Chevrolet site and asking how Fords compare.

On the contrary, a lot of people here have many years of experience playing many guitars. Lots of people here love Gibsons but I've seen a lot of people with Fender guitars here and loving those too. Some people are more passionate about their brand than other people are. And, sometimes there's trolls that come along to bait people and trolls are typically dealt with, sometimes perhaps not in the best manner, but people are people and everyone has good and bad days.

My friend had an ESP but I don't remember the model and I didn't care for it much but that's just me. I'm picky like that. I like the feel and sound I get out of my Gibsons and the way they play. I've been playing them for so long that throwing another guitar in my mix that's a different feel and sound aren't going to work real well for me, typically. I know what I like to play and Gibsons do it for me.

Now, all that being said, here's some videos online making comparisons. I haven't watched any to check their quality but just doing a Google search for videos brings up these. Good luck!

https://www.google.com/search?q=esp+eclipse+vs+les+paul&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwifrsTindnVAhUT6GMKHbmeARwQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=911

And another on the ESP forums, which might be a good place to ask the same question over there.

http://www.espguitars.com/forums/1963246/posts/2158260-esp-usa-vs-gibson-lp

Good luck!

I'm glad that AllenJason69 was proven wrong in this thread and that the OP was able to get some valuable insight from experienced players.

He's had some run-ins before with some folks here and vice-versa. Everyone has bad days and sometimes people take to the internet and post. That generally doesn't do anyone any good and leaves a bad taste afterwards. And, some people are trolls or trolling and it has about the same effect on people.

I'm glad that Chris has a path to more knowledge and I'm surely thankful for the opinions and advice from the people here as well.

My friend has an LTD bass that he plays quite regularly and he sounds great. Of course, he's got a really nice amp to put it through and he's a very, very good player. I think he could pick up anything and make it sound good.

I concur with all of this. I have played a couple of ESPs and found them to be of good build quality. Like Cap, I was put off by the active pickups. ESP seem to cater to metal players.

He's had some run-ins before with some folks here and vice-versa. Everyone has bad days and sometimes people take to the internet and post. That generally doesn't do anyone any good and leaves a bad taste afterwards. And, some people are trolls or trolling and it has about the same effect on people.

I'm glad that Chris has a path to more knowledge and I'm surely thankful for the opinions and advice from the people here as well.

My friend has an LTD bass that he plays quite regularly and he sounds great. Of course, he's got a really nice amp to put it through and he's a very, very good player. I think he could pick up anything and make it sound good.

Some run ins? I once asked how Gibson accoustics compared to Masterbilts and was told about a hundred times "only you can decide" ....even though I said I knew that in my very first post and asked for actual opinions in that thread.

That's what I mean about being wrong about guitar players bring creative, or individualistic. If someone asks you your opinion on a restaurant....or a car.....or a movie.....or a hotel....would you say "only you can decide.....we're all different..... try them all"?

But if you ask how a guitar compares here, you get endless responses of...."everyone is different.....only you can decide". Over and over and over I explained that I wasn't asking anyone to tell me what guitar to be....I was asking for opinions. That simple concept was too much for a lot of guys who replied apparently.

The Gibson acoustic section here seems to be full of old women.

I'm glad that AllenJason69 was proven wrong in this thread and that the OP was able to get some valuable insight from experienced players.

What valuable input? "I knew a guy who knew a guy that had one once, he liked it"?

I didn't read every response here but the ones I did read (which were made after my comment, meaning people were on the best behavior to "prove me wrong") were basically just "they're good guitars". No first hand experience, nothing in depth, no comparison of features, pickups, neck differences, playing styles etc etc etc.

I could say "I know a guy who has an ESP and he likes it". I do "know" a guy who has one (he's in my friend's metal band, we've made small talk so I "know" him right?), I've seen him play it ..... he seems to like it......but that's not a comparison of a Les Paul to an ESP, it doesn't give any comparison between the two. What's more is going by the rest of his equipment it seems he might have bought the ESP more for budgetary reasons than it's actual merit when compared to a Gibson LP.

And if I hadn't said this isn't the best place to compare an ESP to a Gibson LP and mentioned my experience with people on this board when asking questions something tells me the responses the OP is getting wouldn't be quite so polite and amiable.

IMHO, the Gibson Sucks, PRS is AWESOME "Discussion" got a lot more notice than it deserved. That thread was really not the norm for this message board.

It pretty much was. I totally disagreed with the guy and said so but reading the the replies there were so many people that formed an Internet lynch mob that attacked that threads OP and wanted the OP of that thread banned.

That's the kind of stuff I don't get. How do these "ban em!!!!" types function in real life? If they get into a heated argument in real life do they just start demanding someone come and silence the person they're arguing with?

It pretty much was. I totally disagreed with the guy and said so but reading the the replies there were so many people that formed an Internet lynch mob that attacked that threads OP and wanted the OP of that thread banned.

That's the kind of stuff I don't get. How do these "ban em!!!!" types function in real life? If they get into a heated argument in real life do they just start demanding someone come and silence the person they're arguing with?

well in all fairness, the entire topic was a clinic in trolling..

those threads are not all that common in this forum.

Take a bit of time and cruise the Fender Forum.. you won't have to wait long to find the angst that flows from those pages.

What valuable input? "I knew a guy who knew a guy that had one once, he liked it"?

I didn't read every response here but the ones I did read (which were made after my comment, meaning people were on the best behavior to "prove me wrong") were basically just "they're good guitars". No first hand experience, nothing in depth, no comparison of features, pickups, neck differences, playing styles etc etc etc.

I could say "I know a guy who has an ESP and he likes it". I do "know" a guy who has one (he's in my friend's metal band, we've made small talk so I "know" him right?), I've seen him play it ..... he seems to like it......but that's not a comparison of a Les Paul to an ESP, it doesn't give any comparison between the two. What's more is going by the rest of his equipment it seems he might have bought the ESP more for budgetary reasons than it's actual merit when compared to a Gibson LP.

And if I hadn't said this isn't the best place to compare an ESP to a Gibson LP and mentioned my experience with people on this board when asking questions something tells me the responses the OP is getting wouldn't be quite so polite and amiable.

What exactly do you want to say here? It reads like "I had successfully moderated this thread but regretted and decided to heat it up again." :unsure:

Archived