Gibson Brands Forums: Why did Gibson abandon the amp market? - Gibson Brands Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why did Gibson abandon the amp market?

#21 User is offline   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:15 AM

Lots of the Gibson amps from the sixties were just bad amps. Voiced badly and just thin. They had bad designs for the tone and volume circuits while Fender's amps were open and loud. They weren't figuring stuff out like Fender was. I worked on this '64 Falcon this week that was just horrible sounding. Did like 5 or 6 things to it and now the guy has an awesome amp that has a nice fat clean sound and sounds good all the way up the volume control. Decent reverb and great tremolo too. Sounds kind of like a Princeton Reverb with a little more edge - like a tweed deluxe without any flab - and lots of harmonics when you get the volume up. The sweet spot of the amp just wasn't accessible the way it was originally designed.

TENNESSEE AMPLIFIER COMPANY

#22 User is offline   ajay 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:53 PM

The Goldtones in the early 2000's were all Trace Elliot except for the GA5 Les Paul Reissue 5 watt Tube Amp. They were hand-wired in the USA IN MOJOTONE's Burgaw, North Carolina factory. I use mine all of the time. If You look on YouTube, there's a clip of Roky Erickson playing "Two-.Headed Dog". Billy Gibbons is playing in his band, and Billy is plugged into one of the GA5 Reissues, no doubt plugged into the PA. If it's good enough for Billy, it's GOT to be pretty good. They are nearly identical to the original Fender Champ schematic, only the rectifier is tube on the Champ, and Solid State on the Gibson. Great little amps for the low prices that they go for on ebay. They also break up pretty easily, about 5 on the volume control, which is the only knob on the amp. For $400, Your Gibson Amp dreams can become a reality!

This post has been edited by ajay: 27 November 2018 - 03:54 PM

#23 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

I have one of the UK made GA30RVS combos. Bought right after they re-engineered the cabs and made the covering a dark brown. Heaviest amp I've every owned,(90lbs) but it sounds really incredible. Controls are just volume, tone and reverb, w/bright switch volume has pull pot for preset gain stage. It's VERY loud, extremely clear nasty. These have this "Surround sound reverb" which is probably just a side effect of the fact that it is a stereo setup.

killer combo, but.. boy howdy... you don't want to move it..
/Ray

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users