Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - 2017 SG Standard HP

Marky Forrest

Last Thursday I received my new 2017 Gibson SG Standard HP heritage cherry from Sweetwater. The guitar and case are perfect. There are no dents, scraps, scratches or manufacturing defects of any kind. No problem with QC here. She's flawless and Sweewater set her up beautifully. All I had to do was tune it and, with GForce, I simply pushed one button and strummed. I had to laugh as the tuner knobs turned by themselves. I am not used to that yet. To my ears, it sounded perfectly tuned but I checked it with my Korg tuner plugged into the output jack and it was spot on. This guitar is an absolute pleasure to play and I haven't been able to put it down.msp_smile.gif

post-67334-093104300 1502792733_thumb.jpgpost-67334-035893300 1502792735_thumb.jpgpost-67334-064991200 1502792734_thumb.jpgpost-67334-008351000 1502792736_thumb.jpgpost-67334-089160900 1502792736_thumb.jpgpost-67334-064553200 1502792737_thumb.jpgpost-67334-035263500 1502792738_thumb.jpgpost-67334-047203200 1502793140_thumb.jpg

Thanks DiamondJig!

Thanks kidblast! I'm almost positive that the relocated strap button is only done on the HP line. There is additional contouring at the heel as well that was not on my old SG Standard. Both of these were done for easier access to the upper frets. Gibson quote, "Sculpted Fast Access Heel".

That's a beauty. I also got my 2017 Standard from Sweetwater. I've only bought one guitar from them so far, but they set it up perfectly. I'll definitely be doing more business with them in the near future. I don't know what the general consensus on the 2017 line is, but man I love my SG. I remember playing a Standard YEARS ago when I was 18 at the Nashville Opry Mills Mall before the flood, and it felt the exact same. I think it's interesting how they went with the look of a early 60s, but the body of a late 60s with the flush neck joint, well on the non HP version anyways.

I'm curious, what are the pickups on the HP version?

Well Done Marky!

I noticed they've relo'd the strap button to the horn instead of the heel...

first time I've noticed this.

now it's got me curious if that that is just a tweak made to the HP line?

The strap button location is a HP thing. The strap button on the standard T is in the same old place it's always been.

That's a beauty. I also got my 2017 Standard from Sweetwater. I've only bought one guitar from them so far, but they set it up perfectly. I'll definitely be doing more business with them in the near future. I don't know what the general consensus on the 2017 line is, but man I love my SG. I remember playing a Standard YEARS ago when I was 18 at the Nashville Opry Mills Mall before the flood, and it felt the exact same. I think it's interesting how they went with the look of a early 60s, but the body of a late 60s with the flush neck joint, well on the non HP version anyways.

I'm curious, what are the pickups on the HP version?

Thanks Micrmay. Sorry I just noticed your reply. The pups are '57 Classic / '57 Classic +

Thanks DiamondJig!

Thanks kidblast! I'm almost positive that the relocated strap button is only done on the HP line. There is additional contouring at the heel as well that was not on my old SG Standard. Both of these were done for easier access to the upper frets. Gibson quote, "Sculpted Fast Access Heel".

It's not a bad place for the strap button at all, while looks odd, but that's only b/cuz our eyes expect it to be at the heel joint.

[thumbup]

Nice.

So the strap button is no longer at the end of the neck, and Gibson are still using the tuner thing?

Thanks!

Yes, on the HP, the strap button is now on the upper horn and it has the GForce tuner. I've been really happy with the setup. It plays and sounds great.

It's not a bad place for the strap button at all, while looks odd, but that's only b/cuz our eyes expect it to be at the heel joint.

[thumbup]

Thanks kidblast. I think you hit the nail on the head. It does look different but I like the new location of the strap button now that I've been playing it for awhile. msp_smile.gif

• 2 months later...

have you a good tuning with the days-weeks considering there are not locking tuners vs the other sg ?

This HP guitar stays in tune as well or maybe even better than my non-GForce SG Standard. I can still tune individual strings manually on-the-fly, if need be, and changing to an alternate tuning is super quick. I haven't replaced the strings yet but I watched a how-to YouTube video on it and it looks very quick and easy. I definitely wouldn't put it on all of my guitars (you can buy it from the manufacturer and fit it to a Strat, etc.) but I like it on this one. I'm still very happy with this guitar. I hope this answered your question.

This HP guitar stays in tune as well or maybe even better than my non-GForce SG Standard. I can still tune individual strings manually on-the-fly, if need be, and changing to an alternate tuning is super quick. I haven't replaced the strings yet but I watched a how-to YouTube video on it and it looks very quick and easy. I definitely wouldn't put it on all of my guitars (you can buy it from the manufacturer and fit it to a Strat, etc.) but I like it on this one. I'm still very happy with this guitar. I hope this answered your question.

yeah very cool thanks [thumbup]

i said that because my sg with Grover tuners (not locking tuners)

has always had problems with the tunings

i tried big bend sauce but it's never perfect so now i would prefer locking tuners

but if this g force gives (with some other elements) a good and long good tuning maybe i can try one

problem would be the pickups : some kind of 500t or burstbucker pro would be more modern or with more harmonics

as i suppose

Thanks! I do love this guitar.

It's my understanding that the GForce tuning system weighs no more than the standard tuners. When I compared it to my older SG Standard, I felt no difference. The reason they moved the strap button is because there is more contouring at the heal of the neck on the HP for easier access to the upper frets. It makes sense that the strap button would be in the way. I actually prefer the strap button on the horn.

Archived