Gibson Brands Forums

The worst SG I have ever seen!

theflyingturtle

I went to see my luthier yesterday. He showed me a brand new American Standard SG a guy brought in that his girlfriend tried to clean with..... Ready for this? You better sit down.... Fingernail polish remover!!! She was even nice enough to clean the headstock by rubbing real hard! There were wipe marks going up, down, across, at an oblique angle, and deep scrubbing marks. Unless the guitar is refinished it'll look that way forever and ever. I've never seen worse. My luthier remarked that if it was a cheap SG with a poly finish it would have been fine. It was tragic. It was an honest mistake but man!

Yeah, that's it. Blame the girlfriend.

I'm not sure of anyone who would continue destroying the finish on a guitar once they see that the finish is coming off, especially if it was someone else's guitar, unless she did it on purpose just to be mean. That's a LOT of fingernail polish remover!

Yeah, that's it. Blame the girlfriend.

I'm not sure of anyone who would continue destroying the finish on a guitar once they see that the finish is coming off, especially if it was someone else's guitar, unless she did it on purpose just to be mean. That's a LOT of fingernail polish remover!

I guess it won't take much acetone to make a nitro-finished instrument a case for refinishing.

Archived