Gibson Brands Forums

It Was 40 Years Today

IanHenry

Yes, it was. :(

I had come of age that year, and it happened just in the middle of the holidays before my last year at school. The death of Elvis was a sign to me that the funny times in life seemed to be over, and the death of Marc Bolan about one month later confirmed that. [mellow]

Yes.

My Dad died Aug 5th 1977.

A lot happened that summer, not much of it good.

Death of Elvis was a shock too.

I read both volumes of the biography; "Last Train To Memphis" and "Faded Love"....very sad really.

I read both volumes of the biography; "Last Train To Memphis"

I only read the second volume of "Last Train..." What a sad, sad caricature he had become in his later years.

And condolences on your Dad. Mine passed on Aug 6, '84. Hard to believe.

I remember it well, I had just graduated from High School a couple months before AND I had just saw him at what turned out to be his very last performance at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. I had got a couple tickets becase a girl I was seeing wanted to go. I think I enjoyed it more than her. Yes he was over weight but man he could still sing. I became even a bigger fan.

Yep I remember exactly what I was doing, like when I learned of John Lennon's murder. I was riding in my brother's Opal GT on the Golden Gate bridge visiting California for the first time since I was a baby. We both looked at each other in disbelief when we heard the news. RIP Elvis, hard to believe it's been 40 years.

Archived