Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal advice please...

'Scales

Hi guys, due to a potential line-up change, it looks like I may have to start playing at least some lead in my originals band – maybe sharing the load with another mainly rhythm player…which will be interesting in itself as my lead playing sucks. Anyhoo… I do want to at least make the solos suitably pronounced and different sounding to the rhythm parts and I’m not very co-ordinated when it comes to tap-dancing with pedals so pedal boards are out. What I’m hoping for is recommendations as to a stompbox I can use that with one stomp I can call up a single ‘lead tone’ to suit what I need so I can just turn it on for the solo then back off – same lead tone for all songs is fine…all simple as can be with least amount of programing. We are playing mainly for ourselves and it doesn’t have to be perfection.

My ideal set up would be -> tuner –> this pedal I’m looking for –> wah -> What I’d like is to be able to have the pedal provide is:

•decent volume boost to lift solo above band

•slight delay to thicken and make more impactful

•bit of fuzz/gain for bite

I realise its multi effects, but my needs are so basic I prefer to avoid all that modelling of amps, cabs, speakers, etc etc. Is there something basic you are aware of that would seem to fit my simple needs? Cheers. [thumbup]

Sounds like you want a booster pedal.

BUT, could you not just use the pickup switch.. So you turn the rhythm volume down a bit and then flick between neck and bridge when you want to solo... Isnt that what you are meant to do?? (and I ask because I haven't had much recent live experience).

I have a boost(mxr), and drive and delay pedals, which is fine for messing around at home, but I'm just wondering if there's something that I can get all that done with one stomp rather than turning on an off a variety of pedals - cos I'm not co-ordinated and quick thinking enough 'live'.

If you already have pedals you think would work as your lead tone - just use them in a loop switcher. They are basically just a simple pedal with an Input, an Output, and a Send and Return loop.

Connect guitar to the Input, and the Output to your amp. Then connect your lead tone boost and delay and what not in the Send/Return loop and leave them turned on at all times.

Then you'll have the signal go straight from Input to Output when the looper switch is off (rhythm tone), and from input via Send/Return loop to Output when the looper is on (lead tone).

LEHLE makes great stuff. This one should do what you want. http://lehle.com/EN/Little-Lehle-II

Here's a One Control one. Never tried them but they seem to make good stuff too. http://www.one-control.com/1-loop-box.html

Both seem a bit pricey. The LEHLE one is buffered and all that, so it'd be useful if you want to do something else with it later down the road like switching between amps. The One Control is nice and small but seems expensive for a passive unit.

Anyway, you can probably find something that does the same thing for less money - these are just what came to mind when I read this. You could probably ask one of the pedal/amp builder guys on here to solder a passive one up for you.

Thankyou - that sounds like an even better way to do it cos I could use effects I am familiar with and would be easier to tweak anything on the fly!

I assume I could put my tuner between guitar and input (for easy muted tuning when needed) then the the drive/fuzz, booster and delay pedals in the loop set just right for solos, and the Wah probably after the output and before the amp so it's easy to get at.

That sounds perfect! Thanks so much [thumbup]

Now I just have to find someone to fix my DD2 and I'm in business. [biggrin]

Yep, tuner can go before the loop.

I'm a Wah before all overdrives and pre-amps kind of guy, so with your set-up I'd do it:

Guitar --> tuner --> Wah --> Loop-input // Loop-send --> Boost --> Delay --> Loop-return // -->Loop-output --> Amp

That way I could use the Wah for both rhythm and lead and always have it before the overdrives/boosts/amp-preamp drive, and have it before the delay in solo mode so I don't "wah" the delay repeats. But where to place the Wah is entirely up to you and what you think sounds good.

The only downside to this set-up would be that the delay repeats would be cut off when you go back to rhythm mode, but for me personally that's not a huge problem.

There are soooooo many pedals that fit what you're looking for that I will not make a list for you. My advice is to go to a local music store and try some stuff out. Only your ears and your setup will answer the question you've posed here. There's a lot of great stuff out there Bro - go enjoy yourself! [thumbup]

I am no pro but for some reason boost pedals have never worked for me and have even tried some high end stuff.

Some guys use a compressor-sustainer for leads, it can provide a boost and help make your leads more fluid.

Like others said, you are going to have to try it for yourself.

I am no pro but for some reason boost pedals have never worked for me...

They work great with tube amps set on the edge of break up - but not great with tube amps that are already distorted. I tell high gain players not to bother with booster pedals unless they have an fx loop in which they can be inserted.

But it you have an older non-master volume type sound, a good dynamic booster pedal is pure magic. If I'm doing a classic rock type gig I carry a tuner and a booster (and a Marshall head and cab o course).

My ideal set up would be -> tuner –> this pedal I’m looking for –> wah -> What I’d like is to be able to have the pedal provide is:

•decent volume boost to lift solo above band

•slight delay to thicken and make more impactful

•bit of fuzz/gain for bite

I realise its multi effects, but my needs are so basic I prefer to avoid all that modelling of amps, cabs, speakers, etc etc. Is there something basic you are aware of that would seem to fit my simple needs? Cheers. [thumbup]

Try this:

Tuner >> Wah >> Boss SD-1 or Boss BD-2 or Ibanez TS9 >> Boss DD-3

Quite simple set. 4 boxes. Go youtube for the pedals you don't know.

Cheers!

Archived