Gibson Brands Forums

95 MiK Epiphone Les Paul Restoration Job

dcav1987

Hey everyone, I am new to the community so I apologize if this is a very common/stupid question - so be gentle :D.

I acquired a Made in Korea Les Paul that an old roommate of mine left behind after moving out.

The guitar (serial: s5038221) looks to have a birds eye maple top in a natural finish. The headstock just reads “Les Paul”

I haven’t seen or found anyone really talking about these anywhere that I could dig up. I’m really just curious as to what the specifics of the instrument are such as:

I’m considering turning this into a mini restoration project if it seems worth the time/effort. The only downside is I’ve never played it to know how it plays/feels/sounds so I’m largely in the dark there. The guitars hardware and electronics are in pretty rough shape (heavy corrosion) but the guitar itself seems to be in good condition (minus some expected scratches and blemishes from being 22+ years old).

Would a Gotoh Aluminum 'Stop' Tailpiece and Gotoh Tune-o-matic Bridge with Studs/Bushings be a drop in replacement for the OEM bridge/tailpiece? The tailpiece appears to come in US/Metric sizing while the bridge seems to come in one size only.

Any input is appreciated - I’m really just curious about the thing - I’ve never owned an Epiphone or Gibson so this stuff is largely a mystery to me.

Thanks much.

post-86929-049254600 1502981415_thumb.jpg

post-86929-089435000 1502981420_thumb.jpg

post-86929-080961000 1502981426_thumb.jpg

Really cool looking Epiphone LP.

I absolutely love my '96 Epiphone Gold Top..

I recommend that you go over to http://www.mylespaul.com/

The folks in the Epiphone section know a lot about your model.

If you take on the project good luck to you.

It's very worth it.

Thanks for the tip - I was actually reading some stuff on there recently.

I am definitely moving forward with the project. Just gutted the electronics and de-gunked the mounting hardware and polished up the frets. Looking really nice so far.

I have pretty much everything ordered that I need to get this thing up and running again. Only thing left to order is the humbuckers which I am still researching - really want a nice heavy rock tone which is leaning me toward either a pair of Pearly Gates or AFD Slash signatures for inside it.

Archived