Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best Gibson for soulful blues?

theflyingturtle

Well, "Soulful Blues" is more one's own interpretation, of the genre. Any guitar can produce "Soulful" blues,

or any other type music, with a "soulful player!" I guess it would boil down to which guitar inspires YOU, to

play more "Soulfully."

Well known Gibson models, for "blues" players seem to be: ES-335, 345, 355, Les Paul's, SG's, Firebirds, Explorer,

Flying V, etc. Mellower blues, are often played on "Jazz" boxes, like ES-175, L-5, Byrdland, Switchmaster, etc.

Most (well known) great players have one (or more) of each, along with Stratocasters and Telecasters.

So, IMHO, just find the one that inspires you, and play it, Often! [biggrin]

Oh, and don't forget, a LOT of "Soulful Blues," have been done on Gibson J-45's, as well! [thumbup]

CB

Like a BB King kind of tone? BB King used a ES-335 mostly.

Jimmy Page, Michael Bloomfield, Duane Allman, Keith Richards, Joe Perry, Joe Bonamassa, Peter Green, Gary Moore, Eric Clapton, Freddie King, have all used or continue to use a Les Paul.

Lonnie Mack and Albert King used a Flying V.

Angus Young, Frank Marino, Derek Trucks, Eric Clapton, Sister Rosetta Tharpe play or have played an SG.

I know I'm leaving off lots of names from this list but they're just some off the top of my head.

Lots of blues guys use a Strat and I'd guess that they're the most popular.

The answer seems to "Just about any Gibson will do the trick." It seems like the real answer here would be the player's ability and perhaps the amp/tone/effects used, along with volume and tone controls on the guitar.

That's a tough question with a lot of examples of people who have played blues on a variety of Gibsons. I guess it depends on the definition of soulful blues. A good blues guy should be able to pick up just about any guitar and make it sing.

Not sure if my blues skills allow me to play what listeners may find soulful, but next to all of my guitars are basically apt for putting out soulful tones.

As far as my Gibsons are concerned, to my feel my Les Paul guitars support soulful blues tones better than my SGs and L6Ses, mainly due to the LP's neck pickup position at the 2nd octave what I think is fine for blues. When specifying more closely, I'd prefer my rare 2011 Les Paul Standard Quilt K and my just a little more common 2013 Government Series II Explorer over all the others by some margin. OK, these are oddball guitars, but most of mine are [rolleyes]

And when about oddballs, playing blues using the piezo bridges of some of solid-body guitars can sound soulful, too! [thumbup]

Okay I had a feeling this would happen. What I mean what Gibson electric has the most soulful tone to YOUR ears. If you were going to a blues jam and you could play any electric Gibson model, what would you take?

One of my guitars because they're set up the way I like them. If I had ANY choice, probably a Les Paul Standard. I haven't played an ES-335 for years and I just love the Les Paul feel and sound. Second runner up would be a Flying V for the same reason and I've played them for decades. I'm more familiar with their sound and feel and could dial in various tones.

So, one of those over there:

<-------

All that being said, it could really be just about any decent quality guitar but seeing as though I prefer Gibson over others and Flying V's and Les Pauls over other Gibsons, that's what I'd choose. Does any choice also include an original 1958-1960 Les Paul? [tongue] I'd choose that just to say I played one! (And, would gets LOTS of pictures and videos with me playing it!)

Personally I'd go for the ES335.....

V

:-({|=

I have a highly modded Dot,(SD Classic p/u's, switchraft jacks, etc. and added Bigsby). Some bling notwithstanding, I'd tend to agree on the 335. I consider this Dot as my "it can do it all" guitar. As always, YMMV.

Okay I had a feeling this would happen. What I mean what Gibson electric has the most soulful tone to YOUR ears. If you were going to a blues jam and you could play any electric Gibson model, what would you take?

probably a '59 Les Paul Standard.

Maybe take 2 to save time if a string breaks.

Jimi, Stevie, Greenie and Eric played much soulful blues on Fender Strats.....[thumbup]

Personally I'd go for the ES335.....

V

Greenie? I know of only one clip showing Peter Green playing a Strat and that's "Need Your Love So Bad". Even then he was miming to the record which was recorded on his usual guitar, a '59 burst.

Greenie? I know of only one clip showing Peter Green playing a Strat and that's "Need Your Love So Bad". Even then he was miming to the record which was recorded on his usual guitar, a '59 burst.

I saw Greenie with Danny and Jeremy in concert in 1970.....Mk 2 Fleetwood Mac at their best.....[thumbup]

Peter played his black Strat, Danny played a Strat, Jeremy played slide on an ES335....

V

My answer to the original question is, "Whatever Gibson feels best in your hands, plays easily, sounds pleasing, and which stays in tune."

You may find all those criteria are met in an ES-335 that was built on a Wednesday, and I may find my dream blues guitar in an SG that was built on a Friday.

That said, the very best Gibson for soulful blues is probably a non-weight-relieved Gibson Les Paul.

The thing is so heavy that it will cause back and shoulder pain (and therefore emotional distress) within 20 minutes of playing it, and everybody knows that you play your best blues when you are in physical pain and emotional agony.

I hope this helps.

:)

I saw Greenie with Danny and Jeremy in concert in 1970.....Mk 2 Fleetwood Mac at their best.....[thumbup]

Peter played his black Strat, Danny played a Strat, Jeremy played slide on an ES335....

V

Peter may have played the Strat on one or two songs in 1970 (it actually belonged to Jeremy Spencer, I believe) but he wasn't known as a Strat player per se. He also used a Fender Bass VI on the live extended versions of Rattlesnake Shake etc, but the Les Paul was far and away his main guitar.

Also Jeremy's main guitar was a Gibson ES 175

Archived