Gibson Brands Forums

oppourtunity knocks...

kidblast

Out of the blue, I get a text message from one of the managers at a restaurant / lounge I used to work with a duo at (like 3 years ago)...

They're looking for some solo performers to play on the outside patio somehow, he dragged up my number. I almost passed on it, but I figured, what the hell,, what's the worse that can happen.

Oh,, should I mention in the 50 freakin years I've played, I haven't ever done a full 3 set solo gig, however I am pretty sure I have enough material to get me by.

what have I gotten myself into?

Hey, why not? Since you sound like you've reached the age where you might want to think about these things (and I've been there for a while), double check your endurance for standing up in one spot for long intervals and make accomodations as necessary😉

Awesome.

It's easy after a few! I played in high school and college, then took 25 years off... recently started up again. It's fun, and you will slip into it like old jeans...

I bet we have similar set lists too. I can send you our "restaurant" more mellow sets if it helps. I guarantee you know them all, being from the northeast.

Out of the blue, I get a text message from one of the managers at a restaurant / lounge I used to work with a duo at (like 3 years ago)...

They're looking for some solo performers to play on the outside patio somehow, he dragged up my number. I almost passed on it, but I figured, what the hell,, what's the worse that can happen.

Oh,, should I mention in the 50 freakin years I've played, I haven't ever done a full 3 set solo gig, however I am pretty sure I have enough material to get me by.

Cool!

Stay calm, don't rush through everything you know in the first 15 minutes, learn some instrumentals if you don't already know some - beginning and break signouts! War stories for the audience maybe to spread the guitaring. Write your list, edit, practice....

If all else fails, get a guest vocalist for the last set!

All the best!

BluesKing777.

You missed the 'T' in 'opportunity' in your heading, Ray!

"Opporunity, opporunity, knocking at my door, opporunity, opporunity won't come back no more..." (drunk version of lyrics from an old R & b song truly loved but.....)

Hey found it- here it is:

BluesKing777.

Congrats!

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

BluesKing's advice about bringing in a guest vocalist -- or instrumentalist -- for a tune or two (or more) is wise. It'll spice things up and offer a change of pace, which both you and the audience will appreciate in a three-hour gig. Granted, the diners there for the third set won't be the same ones there for the first set, but you will certainly appreciate the change.

Above all, have fun. And make sure you get paid....

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, advice and encouragement. All taken in good standing. Appreciated and as is the norm you guys never let me down!

This one pays out a flat 100 bucks, I could put a tip bucket out, but not sure I will.

as long as the requests are in my wheel house, yep!! I usually tell people I'll gladly play requests, "the next time I'm here, so just make sure you show up!"

I have done plenty of solo stand ups, (open mics, standups at events, etc..) but this full night is a first, something I've wanted to do for a long time, so when the chance came, I figured, well wth why not??????

Buc, you're right.. 3 sets is a bite and a half, but on the other hand I spend quite a bit of time each week working my voice (a few hours a day) running the tunes that I plan to use, fairly comfortable with most of them and have a few days to lock down the ones I need to tighten. I think I have the gas to get through the 3 sets.

In the duo gigs, I sang just over 50% of the leads, and sang harmonies for mostly everything I wasn't singing. I am hopefully --- good to go.. Some of the tunes will have to be placed strategically, but beyond that, I am not overly concerned. I do have a few instrumentals and I plan to bring the looper so I can stretch out a few with some improv..

And BK's idea of bringing in a guest, had already thought of that one, and I know just the guy... he's always game on for this stuff too. The vocalist in the band I'm in)

hey Sal, yes, send me (pm?) your list, from what I recall when you have shared those with us previously, there are quite a few that overlap. I have time to add a few if something jumps out at me.

thanks again lads!

Depends on the place. If you are talking about something like the Waikiki Room in the local Holiday Inn I would pass. Back in the early 1970s me and another guy were picked up as the house band for a little coffee shop in what had been an old general store. We either were the main act or warmed up for the "big name" act. We played for free food. But I lived just up the hill from the place and the coffee and bagels were really good. Years later my acoustic blues band Southern Can became regulars at another coffee shop. We played for free food. Are you seeing a pattern here. But we loved the places and had fun. If you will be paid in real money I would say what the heck give it a shot.

Depends on the place. If you are talking about something like the Waikiki Room in the local Holiday Inn I would pass. Back in the early 1970s me and another guy were picked up as the house band for a little coffee shop in what had been an old general store. We either were the main act or warmed up for the "big name" act. We played for free food. But I lived just up the hill from the place and the coffee and bagels were really good. Years later my acoustic blues band Southern Can became regulars at another coffee shop. We played for free food. Are you seeing a pattern here. But we loved the places and had fun. If you will be paid in real money I would say what the heck give it a shot.

I hear that.. It is real money.. and not like I need it (Well who don't!) but they do pay fair for a nights effort. This is a low key, friendly place where many locals hang out. Been around for a long time. We used to go there ourselves for dinner ALL the time. We haven't been for a few months now.

The Wednesday night Patio Entertainment has been a "thing" for a few years now. the Duo I was in worked there about 4 or 5 times, we never had a bad experience.

The inside lounge is small and gets jammed up on the weekends, packed with people. It's hard to battle the room noise in there, but outside is way better.

If it works out well, maybe will get a few more nights before it closes down for the winter. At some point, could resurrect the Duo, which is a lot of fun for me as the other guy is really one of my oldest and best friends, we have played together since the 70s. We have a chemistry that really works for this kind of gig.

but for now, just looking at knocking down this one gig, and see how it flows. kinda psyched about it.

30 bucks an hour is alright

Long stretch though 3 hours

I'd have to sing the songs I don't like any longer to get to 3 hours but hey if someone is giving me 30 an hour then great

Good luck with it and please keep us posted on how it all transpires !!

yes indeed Stu, I'm weeding that stuff out as we speak!

I hear that.. It is real money.. and not like I need it (Well who don't!) but they do pay fair for a nights effort. This is a low key, friendly place where many locals hang out. Been around for a long time. We used to go there ourselves for dinner ALL the time. We haven't been for a few months now.

The Wednesday night Patio Entertainment has been a "thing" for a few years now. the Duo I was in worked there about 4 or 5 times, we never had a bad experience.

The inside lounge is small and gets jammed up on the weekends, packed with people. It's hard to battle the room noise in there, but outside is way better.

If it works out well, maybe will get a few more nights before it closes down for the winter. At some point, could resurrect the Duo, which is a lot of fun for me as the other guy is really one of my oldest and best friends, we have played together since the 70s. We have a chemistry that really works for this kind of gig.

but for now, just looking at knocking down this one gig, and see how it flows. kinda psyched about it.

yes indeed Stu, I'm weeding that stuff out as we speak!

Sounds like you'll do just fine!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Solo gigs are great fun. Currently midway through one and on my break myself!

I always prefer solo performance and have been primarily a solo player since I started out. I love the potential to improvise and play what the hell I want!

Enjoy it...and don't be afraid to repeat a song or two if the clientele is coming and going.

thx for the list Sal! there are a few I plan to do already listed, thx for the ideas.

to post photos these days, u can use Facebook. Upload to Facebook, then VIEW the image, copy the "copy image location" url, then use the "Insert Image" tool in the edit window,, change https to http and that should do it..

I am wondering what you guys do for lighting? this will be out side, so as it gets dark, I expect there is nothing there... at least I don't think.

I will have my music stand light, I don't need/want a fully lit area, just so I can at least see a bit. What would you guys do?

thx for the list Sal! there are a few I plan to do already listed, thx for the ideas.

to post photos these days, u can use Facebook. Upload to Facebook, then VIEW the image, copy the "copy image location" url, then use the "Insert Image" tool in the edit window,, change https to http and that should do it..

I am wondering what you guys do for lighting? this will be out side, so as it gets dark, I expect there is nothing there... at least I don't think.

I will have my music stand light, I don't need/want a fully lit area, just so I can at least see a bit. What would you guys do?

Maybe one of those builders/car mechanics floor lamps would shine up at you

http://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-ae0293-portable-led-work-light-24w-220-240v/1098k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322357665078

Or go disco queen

Maybe one of those builders/car mechanics floor lamps would shine up at you

http://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-ae0293-portable-led-work-light-24w-220-240v/1098k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322357665078

Or go disco queen

Oh I don't know any ABBA ! Darn it!

My son has a few LED bars, maybe I'll snag one of them..

Things went extremely well last night.

Crowd was good, the weather was fantastic, and the music was good for the atmosphere.

I had about 25/30 ppl who came to see me, a lot of family, and extended, and friends of family came out.

But the place had a lot of people there that were just "there"

A few tables mentioned to me they had planned to have dinner and leave, but they were liking the music, and decided to stay.

I agreed to do the gig for $100,, the manager said they had a great Wednesday, hands me $200, and says, "you want to come back right?"

They plan to run music through out the year inside in their loft, and out on the patio where I was last night. He wants me to take part in the rotation. I can see myself doing this a few times in the span of a few months.

I also was approached to do some solo work at a country club close by, they have soloist on Friday and Saturday and like to have a wide variety of players and music. So that could be an option too.

I felt pretty much in the zone from the first song. I will admit, I was prepared.. I had worked the sets a few times, and had the times and flow of music where I thought it was a fit.. Seemed to work.

The J200 sounded sensational, I even used my uke for a tune, which went over great.

I had a blast..

More of this to come for sure..

Archived