Gibson Brands Forums

Elvin Bishop

Californiaman

So I was listening to some Elvin Bishop this morning and thought I'd take a look at Wikipedia to see what might be written about the man.

Here's something I found that I thought was real interesting in that he's made his way into other musicians lyrics.

Charlie Daniels mentions Bishop in his 1975 song "The South's Gonna Do It", with the lyric, "Elvin Bishop sittin' on a bale of hay; he ain't good lookin', but he sure can play." Bishop, on his 1974 album Let it Flow, had previously mentioned Charlie Daniels. Molly Hatchet also references Bishop in their 1978 song "Gator Country", with the lyrics, "Elvin Bishop out strutting' his stuff with little Miss Slick Titty Boom, I'm goin' back to the Gator Country and get me some elbow room."

Pretty impressive. But then again, so is Bishop's guitar playing. He's been playing Red Dog, his ES-345 for over 50 years!

Speak Red Dog!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WotY7mcdSq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTYapF25fZE

Saw him in concert ages ago, on a bill with Charlie Daniels and the Marshall Tucker Band. Bishop killed.

I would posit that his extended solo on "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" (Mickey Thomas sang lead vocals) is one of the best guitar solos ever on the radio. Expressive and passionate and fit the song like a glove.

I first heard the Elvin Bishop Group on The Closing Of Winterland album. Loved 'Party 'Til The Cows Come Home'. I bought 'Local Boy Makes Good' later.

He eventually side stepped out of the shadow of Mike Bloomfield by forming that band I think.

Anyway, a great player & entertainer.

He eventually side stepped out of the shadow of Mike Bloomfield by forming that band I think.

Yes, Bishop needed to make that move.

Clever bloke too, full University scholarship and a Physicist to boot. But the music is great and the fact that he plays an ES345 makes him a special mate of mine!

Saw him in concert ages ago, on a bill with Charlie Daniels and the Marshall Tucker Band. Bishop killed..

Yes, I saw him with Marshall Tucker, too, probably around 1974 or 5 in an outdoor concert. He strutted around the stage with a bottle of Jack Daniels and played Traveling Shoes for about 20 minutes.

Great show!

Love Elvin.

Fooled Around And Fell In Love is one of my all time fave records. It just jumped out of my radio as a kid in the 70s. Nothing else like it and the musicianship, vocal and songwriting all meshed to make a perfect record. I didn't learn about his early career until much later.

Archived