Gibson Brands Forums

New Slash Model

Rabs

After touring with his prototype models throughout 2016 and 2017, Slash is proud to announce the release of these limited edition Gibson Custom Slash Anaconda Burst Les Pauls. Each guitar features an exclusive green Anaconda Burst finish, historic 1950s Les Paul construction and Slash's personal touches, including a custom Slash neck profile, Slash Signature humbuckers and Sprague Orange Drop capacitors. Both the Flame Top and the Plain Top models are available signed by Slash but a greater quantity of unsigned Plain Tops will be available as well.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Slash-Anaconda-Burst-Les-Paul.aspx#LP58SLVOANCNH1

XxMX8D8.jpg

DXLV4LC.jpg

Certainly very pretty! Not sure that's the first thing I relate to Slash, but I'm sure it's great.

Hey Rabs, do you know if Gibson USA makes a Les Paul Special model in the traditional 2 P90 flat top double cut style (cos I can't find it and wonder how much they are). Ta.

Is it just me or is he really not that good and is just a good image? I've never heard him do anything that makes me think 'wow'.

He's better than some, not as good as others. If it hadn't been for Guns and Roses and Appetite for Destruction, people may or may not know his name. He may or may not be the best guitarist but he does have name and look recognition. If you see him, you know he's Slash. Many people know the name and associate him with a Gibson Les Paul.

The green Les Paul seems out of place to me for him but if that's his signature model, of course he's going to play it sometimes. It's a lot easier on the mind to take a 2017 guitar on the road than a 1959 or whatever other old Les Pauls he has. :)

The top is nice, if you like that color and style top. The back of the guitar, the sides and neck just look wrong. I'd rather see them the same color or darker wood. The pricetag is a bit steep too. 5k for the plan top, unsigned one. I like a lot of other Les Pauls better for that price.

Is it just me or is he really not that good and is just a good image? I've never heard him do anything that makes me think 'wow'.

Try learning the lead lead solo of Sweet Child of Mine when he cuts it loose after the second chorus. Made me say double wow. I could do everything in the beginning of the song but couldn't pull that part off. The other guitar player could and so he did it. Said it was the hardest thing he ever learned. My respect factor for Slash as a technical player went up after that exercise.

After touring with his prototype models throughout 2016 and 2017, Slash is proud to announce the release of these limited edition Gibson Custom Slash Anaconda Burst Les Pauls. Each guitar features an exclusive green Anaconda Burst finish, historic 1950s Les Paul construction and Slash's personal touches, including a custom Slash neck profile, Slash Signature humbuckers and Sprague Orange Drop capacitors. Both the Flame Top and the Plain Top models are available signed by Slash but a greater quantity of unsigned Plain Tops will be available as well.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Slash-Anaconda-Burst-Les-Paul.aspx#LP58SLVOANCNH1

XxMX8D8.jpg

DXLV4LC.jpg

Not a fan of crazy colored LP. That thing is fugly IMO.

Jdgm: it's well-deserved, IMHO.

I always loved his playing. For me, who's a mere pup at 40, he defined the Les Paul. If you have 20 years on me, you'd say Joe Perry, right?

This is probably heresy, but I find Slash the better player. Every time I see him jamming with someone, when he's not doing Guns or his own band, I go away thinking, that was REALLY good.

Quasi-off topic, here's James Hetfield in Diggerland reviewing Axl's 2010 rider:

It's a minute and fifteen seconds out of your life. It will teach you more about diplomacy than four years of college in social science will.

For those of you who didn't know, Metallica and Guns were a double bill in North America. When Axl DID show up, he was usually hours late, and I think those thirty days totalled two riots, because a certain someone couldn't be bothered to show up.

I know now that he's bipolar, and even he didn't know back then. But let's just say that Hetfield and Axl did not get on at all. So it gave me a chuckle. It's contempt, thinly veiled as diplomacy.

I have no idea how many Slash models there have been as I don't follow such things, though I remember a tobacco burst one and a red one with a snake on it. Anyway...I'm inclined to agree with Pinch. I was an 80's teen and rock/metal music lover and I can't recall anyone current at the time playing a Les Paul until Slash came along. I'm sure there were, but he stood out and would have helped them sell like Angus did for SG's. Has there been anyone else since who is so much associated with Les Pauls as a current major player? - if not that's 30 years he has been the 'LP King' - no one else in the history of that guitar would have had such a reign so maybe it's fair enough! [biggrin]

*nods head*

There's also the fact that Joe Perry COULD have kept his head crowned as far as LPs go, but then they started doing songs like "Crazy" and "Amazing", none of which were either or.

I got to see Alicia S for the first time, but that was about it. (Now, decades later, I'm still not as old as Steven was when they cast her. I'm still undecided as to whether that was cool or creepy.)

But... yeah. I still listen to quite a few old "hair rock" bands (I don't really care for that term - it connotates that not a single one could play, which is BS), but Slash and Izzy brought what I still consider to be an update of the Stones' sound.

Well, if Gibson wants to honor the real heroes of the Les Paul (besides Les himself), why not make

as many Mike Bloomfield, Eric Clapton, or Peter Green models, and keep them in the line! They were

largely responsible for the resurrection of the Les Paul, after it's initial demise! [razz]:rolleyes:[flapper]

Actually, I don't care (really), who's name they use, to promote Les Paul guitars. Les's name, is enough

for me! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Archived