Gibson Brands Forums

Maintenance & Parts for Hummingbird & Dove

PTL

Hi everyone.

Did some search but no results, or too many threads being dug up msp_crying.gif looks like i had to start this thread.

Q1 - old & new Hummingbird pickguard keeps curling up/sperating from the top.

Q2- anyone here use the Epiphone Hummingbird pickguard on their Gibson bird?

Q3- Hummingbird & Dove pickguards are painted on their surface top. Dove had thicker paintwork & exposed MOP. How & with what the best way do I clean them.

Q3- Needs new screw for their truss rod covers, what size/technical descriptions are they?

Please advice. Thank You msp_biggrin.gif

<yawn> Morning.......

Q1: That is the case sometimes.......for whatever reason the pick guard starts lifting. Usually an unclean surface. No sweat. Use a hair dryer to warm the guard and it will come off easily. Some folks use naphtha and dental floss to work underneath the thing, but a little heat and slow steady lifting has always worked for me. Not too much heat and go slow. The residue left on the top and the bottom of the guard can be cleaned up with the naphtha.........again, work slow. Use this 3M adhesive to reattach the guard after thorough cleaning of the top and the guard with naphtha. (ps......large guards like that of the Hummingbird will require two sheets of this stuff).

Q2: No, I haven't........and why would you?

Q3: Gibson has more than one guard for the Hummingbird......not sure about the Dove. The surface etched & painted guard is thinner and a better choice most seem to think. The paint does wear off over time though. The "flubber" guard is thicker, heavier, darker in color and the paint scheme is embedded in the plastic.

Q4: Not sure you could find a technical description for the t-rod cover screws, but StewMac has them.........pick your color.

G'luck!

Hi PTL.

I wouldn't use an Epi Bird or Dove scratchplate on a Gibson. They're nowhere near as high quality or as attractive.

12 years or so back, I had an artist deal with Gibson and approached them about making replacement scratchplates for the Hummingbird and SJ200 i had at the time, which had worn badly and were missing much of the painted decals. I asked if they could be made from clear plastic with the design printed underneath the guard so it would be impervious to pick wear and sweat/skin oils.

Initially i was told that it would be too complicated a process to custom build them, but three months later I was sent a pair of wonderful prototype clear guards build to my specs, which are now the production guards for the Standard Hummingbird and SJ200s.

If your guard's design is worn, I would see if you can order one of these from Gibson. They look great and will last a lifetime.

Unfortunately, due to the inlaid MOP Dove in the guard, the Dove scratchplates aren't available in that spec, and the production ones will wear. I would suggest you either keep yours clean with a little guitar polish and a microfibre cloth, or seek a replacement guard from Gibson and give it a very light coat of lacquer before fitting it.

Hope that helps!

<br />As these topics have come up with alarming regularity so you might do a search.  All will then be revealed.  And it ain't a pretty picture.<br />
<br /><br /><br /> I did, but there's more than 10 pages of it even though i use try changing some keywords for the search

The 2 responses above give a pretty complete summary, I think. 9 of the 10 pages you got on your search are probably hand wringing and wouldn't actually answer your questions. I've got a small corner that lifted very slightly on my SJ200 but it stabilized years ago and I never think about it until I'm reminded here ! 🙂msp_rolleyes.gif

Thank You all for the good feedback msp_thumbup.gif

Here's my 3 babies. forget to mention that the J15 got the same problem, but I guess she ok w/o it.

The Dove pickguard is hanging on strong.

post-86428-094151700 1503196829_thumb.jpg

I'm undecided to use the Epi guard, but I tot it looks too bare msp_laugh.gif

since most f/b is not in favor, I'll do just that.

Thank You all for the good feedback msp_thumbup.gif

Here's my 3 babies. forget to mention that the J15 got the same problem, but I guess she ok w/o it.

The Dove pickguard is hanging on strong.

post-86428-094151700 1503196829_thumb.jpg

I'm undecided to use the Epi guard, but I tot it looks too bare msp_laugh.gif

since most f/b is not in favor, I'll do just that.

If you leave those pickguards off for an extended period, you might want to keep them flat with some weight on them (books?), so they don't curl.

Archived