Gibson Brands Forums

How to Value a Limited Edition Gibson for Sale?

firestripe

Are we allowed to discuss prices/value of guitars on this forum?

Hey guys, I haven't been around this board in quite some time but I am considering selling one of my Gibsons. It's a limited run L-00TV model. Mine was from an early run that was initiated by the "Gibson guy" at Bailey Bros. Music out of Birmingham, AL, who ended up with two of them (one of the two being mine), but also involved a handful of other units that were sold through other 5-star dealers.

It looks like Gibson has done some subsequent runs that vary slightly in terms of specs, some with a darker vintage sunburst, some with a chunkier neck / wider nut, etc. They also seem to fluctuate in terms of advertised price, so I am having a hard time valuing my piece for a used, nearly mint sale.

Anybody have an idea of where to start? I have tried looking around on eBay to benchmark sales of similar guitars but it can be difficult to sift through the loads of similar items to find something truly comparable.

But if anyone has some further advice on how to go about pricing this guitar, I am all ears. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

It's likely to come down to its features and not anything about the "custom" aspect, I'd say. Your sale point will have to compete with all the other variations out there, so you could make a chart of comparable features and what those models go for, then throw a dart.

I also have a dealer's limited run model, and I happen to love the constellation of its features. But it's not inherently more valuable than any of its cousins, I don't think.

Just my two cents--good luck.

Maybe check Reverb sales records? Also, I might consider getting in touch with some reputable dealers and asking what one would be worth in trade - what they'd suggest if you were to consign one with them - or pretend you're looking to purchase and let them tell you what you might expect to pay through their store if/when one became available. Factor in a few variables and you might have a ballpark notion.

It's likely to come down to its features and not anything about the "custom" aspect, I'd say. Your sale point will have to compete with all the other variations out there, so you could make a chart of comparable features and what those models go for, then throw a dart.

I also have a dealer's limited run model, and I happen to love the constellation of its features. But it's not inherently more valuable than any of its cousins, I don't think.

Just my two cents--good luck.

I'm not suggesting that the "custom" nature of the guitar should fetch a premium; I'm more or less aware of how the market works with respect custom or limited guitars. While this particular guitar has a few premium features that would set it apart from, say, the newer L-00 standard model, my problem is more about the limited amount of data for similar sales. It's just a bit difficult to establish a market value for this particular model.

One thing that did help was checking Reverb as was suggested by another poster. Didn't even think to do that before, but I just went there saw a few new & used asking prices for some related models. I think I'll just set my sights at the center of the related used sales and "throw a dart" as you suggested.

I'm not suggesting that the "custom" nature of the guitar should fetch a premium; I'm more or less aware of how the market works with respect custom or limited guitars. While this particular guitar has a few premium features that would set it apart from, say, the newer L-00 standard model, my problem is more about the limited amount of data for similar sales. It's just a bit difficult to establish a market value for this particular model.

One thing that did help was checking Reverb as was suggested by another poster. Didn't even think to do that before, but I just went there saw a few new & used asking prices for some related models. I think I'll just set my sights at the center of the related used sales and "throw a dart" as you suggested.

If the uniqueness of this guitar poses a problem, can you think of how significant it might be considered buy the buyer and give a dollar amount to those features and add it on to the price? For example I would probably not pay an additional 15%-20% for a neck carve but for Adirondack spruce? Sure.

If the uniqueness of this guitar poses a problem, can you think of how significant it might be considered buy the buyer and give a dollar amount to those features and add it on to the price? For example I would probably not pay an additional 15%-20% for a neck carve but for Adirondack spruce? Sure.

The two big "upgrades" if you will are an Adirondack top and hide glue construction. I believe all of the various L-00 iterations designated as True Vintage models came with the Adi top as well, not sure about the hide glue. Mostly the differences seem to be in the neck profile, nut width, and color of the sunburst.

I might just keep an eye on Reverb and keep looking for comparables. There are a couple for sale there which should be pretty similar builds to mine, but unfortunately the listings there aren't very detailed. I think I have a starting point at least.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Out of curiosity, what has motivated you to sell it? No need to go into it if it's personal reasons, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on the guitar itself.

I had an L-00 Blues King for a while, loved it initially but it seemed to go off the boil as I played it in and I ended up finding it increasingly lacking in the volume and punch that I loved about it when it was new. I tried a galaxy of different strings and saddles, setup changes etc, but it wouldn't come good.

A friend of mine had an L-00 Legend around the same time which sounded spectacular. Very lightly built and fragile guitar though, and suffered a key crack in the lower side a week after it left the shop, despite being babied by one very careful lady owner.

Out of curiosity, what has motivated you to sell it? No need to go into it if it's personal reasons, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on the guitar itself.

Sure, it's not for any too personal reasons. I just want to move in a different direction. I currently have an Advanced Jumbo, a Martin 00-15M, and the L-00TV. Three distinctly different voices that cover all the bases of the types of music I like to play. The problem is I have less time to play now and I'm looking to downsize a bit. Ultimately I'm going to replace the 00's with a single instrument that is a bit less niche / more versatile, probably something like a Martin 000-18. The AJ stays for life.

Regarding the guitar itself, it really is a fine instrument. It offers every bit of what I believe one looks for in an L-00 style guitar. Adirondack top, light build, signature dry, woody honk that the body shape is known for. Very responsive and surprisingly loud and open tone.

If I had to say one negative thing I guess it would be that the short scale length, while perfect for blues in standard tuning, kind of limits the stylistic options for the guitar. It's a perfect blues box, but my other two guitars can do blues pretty well, and offer a broader array of stylistic options IMO. So I am looking to sell this one first to free up some cash while I consider my next purchase.

tricky one this

I am all for Ebay and Reverb histories cant think of a better way to get an idea of value

Yes £0.99 start is brave but a few years ago I put an SWD 12 on on that basis and the thing went for £680!!

Thinking of limited editions like my 1994 J200-12 Anniversary. No recent real history to guide.

Archived