Gibson Brands Forums

New attenuator day

Riffster

Well, after all these years I finally decided to get an attenuator, my two largest amps have master volumes but I also have a few other small amps that do not.

I ended up going with a Weber Mini Mass because of its features, 4,8,16 ohms that covers all my amps, I went with the 50 watt model since the highest output amp I have is my Mesa 5:25 that can crank 30 watts and since I do want to attenuate the output quite a bit is safer to have extra capacity on the attenuator.

I also like the direct out output, I will be record through it and see how it sounds, it gets good reviews on this.

The treble compensation switch works really well too. I am happy with it and essentially for the cost of a pedal I should have bought one long ago.

35842974553_94460ec01f_c.jpg

35841263873_59f19d91a4_c.jpg

Those are well-built and super versatile (the ohm switching is nice). I have the 25 watt version. I wasn't too happy with the sound of mine. The volume reduction was great, but it thinned the response out a lot. Hopefully you will disagree and love yours. [thumbup]

I have not noticed thinner sound, there is the treble reduction but the switch works great.

I did notice a bit of burning smell after running it hard.

One thing I will do soon is to add 3/4" high rubber feet so it clears the amp handles,

I did notice a bit of burning smell after running it hard.

Those new parts will get pretty hot and give off a smell. It has to dissipate all the extra wattage as heat. A lot of the larger units are fan cooled to handle 100 watt amps.

In the 70s and 80s when we did this they always burned up, usually took the Marshall with them. Old farts like me are anti-attenuator for that, even though my Princeton Recording has attenuation and I do use it.

rct

Archived