Gibson Brands Forums

Strap and strap button problem

blindboygrunt

You can enlarge the strap hole slightly with an X-acto knife, but shave off material from only one side of the hole and only a sliver of material at a time. You won't need to take off much at all to get it to fit, but the key is to take off a very minute amount, test-fit, then keep slicing off a sliver until it fits.

You can enlarge the strap hole slightly with an X-acto knife, but shave off material from only one side of the hole and only a sliver of material at a time. You won't need to take off much at all to get it to fit, but the key is to take off a very minute amount, test-fit, then keep slicing off a sliver until it fits.

This. ^^^^

Add a conventional screw type strap button @1/2 way between the plug in jack and the bottom edge of your guitar. Keep it parallel with the plug. That allows you to keep your strap uncut, access the plug, and not worry about anything.

A knife will work but a punch is better. It's a cleaner cut. They should be found at craft stores. Take the button down there and eyeball the diameter you need. If it is a nice strap it's worth it. Chances are you might need that diameter again for the next strap/guitar.

Good advice, but I would recommend going with a punch that is smaller than the endpin jack's diameter. Over time, putting the strap on and taking it off will enlarge the strap hole.

Thanks chaps !

Another thing is , I got a Jodi head strap. Which is very pretty but the leather 'end' is of course two skinned ... double layered ... blah blah

One skin is going on ,but part of the 'outer' layer of leather doesn't fit under the button edge

Doesn't matter , I'm not Angus young .

Thankyou for your help chaps. Love you all

Sorry, misunderstood it was the pin on the heel and not the pickups end pin. The problems I've had with those is not just the strap's hole being too small in diameter, but the strap being too thick for the leather to fit in the narrow slot or groove the pickup end pins I've seen have... So, I tie a piece of paracord (parachute cord sold in hobby shops, etc.) on the end of the strap (loop it through the hole 3 or 4 times and tie it off with a good knot. Then I fashion a slipknot/ hangmans noose on the other end to slip onto the end pin and nicely into the groove, and tighten it.

if you don't have a reamer used to do leather work, (I dont) I've had pretty good luck with a drill bit just slightly larger than the original hole, I just slowly work it through with my battery op. drill.

if it's still tight, use a utility knife, and make the slot just a weee bit longer, like no more than 1/8 ~ 1/4 of an inch (not sure what that is in metric :) ) that should get er done.

I never enlarged the hole itself, but made the slit in the material right above the hole longer. That made the hole able to stretch further and fit around the end pin of the pick up. I suppose, if there is no slit to make longer then you could just add the slit.

If I understand that StewMac Acoustic Strap Secure - you need to take it off to put your strap on it and take it off (unscrew it from the jack) to remove the strap. If you take your strap off when you put your guitar in the case, you'll have to be jiggling that connection each time. And, you still have to enlarge the hole in your strap to get it on the device: although it will be secure. the larger hole will make the strap unusable on guitars with a regular endpins.

I've tried slightly widening the hole, lengthening the slit. Very difficult when there are two pieces of leather as BBG indicated his is. And they are usually stitched together around the hole, so you really can't cut into the stitching or you'll wreck the hole. And, as I mentioned above, half the reason the straps that do not fit don't - is because the leather is thicker than the thin groove on the endpin jack where you're suppose to place it. That's why I tie on a piece of paracord as I noted above.

If you have an old leather belt, I bet the hole you use all the time has stretched - so you have to be careful how much larger you make the hole on a guitar strap. Same reason not to soften the leather to stretch it on. As far as the Strap Keeper, Ive looked at those and the reviews (never bought one) and was put off by the company's explanation that - it works because the weight of the guitar holds it secure. That might work for a heavy electric, but a light acoustic (with electronics) might not be so secure.

Yeah. The strapkeeper (aside from annoying me aesthetically) does seem to stay secure due to the weight of the guitar . I’m not planning on standing up and have fitted the strap to see if helps my posture while playing .

The strap I have is dual layered but not stitched together .

It’s a Jodi head strap so not a POS cheapo strap

I’m thinking the best thing is to just let it soften for a while. This was first time it was ever used

It’s not going to fall off , and I am sitting down so I’ll give it a chance for a week or two before I regret cutting anything bigger and making it worse in the long run

Thanks for the input boys 👍🏻

Archived