Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Store Report

rct

Yeesh what a day, lots of action, so let's get to it...

Went over to Plymouth Meeting, King of Prussia, whatever, we just call it TrafficTown, Guitar Center. Nothing met my discriminating tastes enough for me to bother with.

From there to Sam Ash KoP. Great store.

There's a Firebird Studio, Purple. Well, they call it Heather. So I always like Firebirds to see them, and I always want one with regular old Grovers not a fan of the banjos. This was clearance at 850, which I could understand the color is a tough one. I played it a bit, felt like my Explorer, which is a thing, right? A Firebird is a thing too, but after a few minutes looking down at it and playing it I realized that in no time I'd see a pitcher of me wailing away at Proud Mary on that thing and say WHAT WAS I THINKING??? and then selling it would be out of the question and trading it would be a laugh. At me. Pass.

An Epiphone Joe Bonermaster single mini gold-ish Firebird. meh.

Couple teles, but with no interest in them they weren't the right things so just noodling really, and I like teles.

Chatted for quite a while with a young man doing an awesom Tosin Abasi impression MAN that kid was good. All four fingers tapping out nicely overlapping arpeggios on some crappy looking Teisco thingy. He thought I was John Mclaughlin which I of course told him I was. For a while at least. That was a fun time, he showed me a lot of things that I had no idea what he was saying and I explained to him what chords he was using and why, which he didn't know.

That was a lot, so I'm pretty exhausted now. Soon be time for some pizza and Clicquot, thank gawd.

Public Service Announcement:

KoP Sam Ash, Dekalb Pike in KoP PA has 4(four) 2015s on clearance. These are the ones with the big 100 on the headstock and I think the electric tuners and definitely the Pontiac Wide Track neck.

NICE Les Paul Less? The thin one. NICE Tobacco Burst flamey top, really nice guitar. 1 thousand bucks. Nice deal.

LP Junior, another nice sunburst, single dog ear P-90. Really nice if you like that kinda thing, 500 bucks I think.

LP Double Cut I want to say Junior. Flat top, two P-90s, nice bound neck, Heritage Cherry. $549!!!

I forget the fourth one.

I asked. They'll ship if paid in full with cc to the address on the cc. Have at it if yer of a mind to get one of these, especially that double cut.

rct

that's like, an hour from me. if you ever are in wilmington, let me know, i will get you the best cheez steak in town at a secret location.

there is a guitar center just off of 202 on naamans road. i went there a couple weeks ago. they had alot of stuff there, but all the good stuff is (not exaggerating) 15' off of the floor. there's no way of seeing the price, or even getting a good look at anything. i cant imagine going in there to shop for a guitar and having to chase down a staff member to get it for me. what if i want to decide from 3 guitars? i don't even know how they get them down. i didn't see any rolling ladder or anything like that.

are they all laid out like that? it's the first time i've been in one.

that's like, an hour from me. if you ever are in wilmington, let me know, i will get you the best cheez steak in town at a secret location.

Is it better than Pat's in Philly? I live in York and cheesesteaks here suck.

Ron, do you think the Heather Poly Firebird is worth $850? I have been interested in that one for a while. I will be in KOP next Saturday and if they still have it, I might need to get it.

That guitar, to me, is a steal at 850. Good luck!

rct

You still comin to Disneyland next month?

grrrr. No.

Cat spent a bunch of our money this summer on his belly, and he is well now and we are happy. We were scheduled to roll into Yellowstone on October 1st. Your government is making internal sounds along the lines of "brace yourselves for the fiscal", which means October 1st, our fiscal year start. A shut down, partial or otherwise, at this moment, is something we are preparing for. And a shutdown, partial or otherwise, closes National Parks at 12am on October 1st. Them guys get it bad and they get it first.

Those two things have made us think better of a trip that concludes with 2 weeks in Yellowstone, which is the whole reason for the three weeks leading up to it. Besides what Ichabod cost us, things are dicey for the Parks, and we just can't risk all that time away from home and rolling up to closed gates.

So we opted instead for an October week in Disney World on this side. With three days before that in Gainesville doing some retirement stuff, house/neighborhood looking, college, stuff like that.

rct

I asked. They'll ship if paid in full with cc to the address on the cc. Have at it if yer of a mind to get one of these, especially that double cut.

rct

You NEED a Double Cut.. everyone does :P :)

You NEED a Double Cut.. everyone does :P :)

I had one. Two P-90s, flat top, satin cherry. Not faded, not unfilled rough, satin. Don't know what they called it. That was...2008 maybe, 2007. eh. I don't like P-90s much I guess. It went out after a year or so of not being used, traded it for something.

rct

I had one. Two P-90s, flat top, satin cherry. Not faded, not unfilled rough, satin. Don't know what they called it. That was...2008 maybe, 2007. eh. I don't like P-90s much I guess. It went out after a year or so of not being used, traded it for something.

rct

:)

So we opted instead for an October week in Disney World on this side. With three days before that in Gainesville doing some retirement stuff, house/neighborhood looking, college, stuff like that.

rct

Grew up in G'ville. Let me know if I can be of help. Got two kids in UF and all my bandmates live there, so I still visit it regularly for kids and gigs. Lotta growth there since I left.

Grew up in G'ville. Let me know if I can be of help. Got two kids in UF and all my bandmates live there, so I still visit it regularly for kids and gigs. Lotta growth there since I left.

Awesome thank You!

rct

grrrr. No.

Cat spent a bunch of our money this summer on his belly, and he is well now and we are happy. We were scheduled to roll into Yellowstone on October 1st. Your government is making internal sounds along the lines of "brace yourselves for the fiscal", which means October 1st, our fiscal year start. A shut down, partial or otherwise, at this moment, is something we are preparing for. And a shutdown, partial or otherwise, closes National Parks at 12am on October 1st. Them guys get it bad and they get it first.

Those two things have made us think better of a trip that concludes with 2 weeks in Yellowstone, which is the whole reason for the three weeks leading up to it. Besides what Ichabod cost us, things are dicey for the Parks, and we just can't risk all that time away from home and rolling up to closed gates.

rct

As a fellow cat lover, I understand and respect that decision :)

Let me know when you guys come around though, I'll be here!

And PS I don't like P90s either haha

I made it into that Sam Ash today to try out that "purple" Firebird and I liked it but the nut was damaged on it. There were a couple of dings too. Moved on to a smart wood Les Paul that looked nice from a distance but again had some dings and fairly poor fit and finish at a premium price. Passed on that one too. I tried a 1993 Gibson Les Paul Lite with a trans amber top on it and it was lust at first strum. I tried it on a couple of different amps and made sure that it was the one for me and then bam! It was mine. This thing is lite and plays like a charm. They are 15% off on all used stuff there this weekend so I took advantage of that and now I have guitar #86. I think my wife hates me.

I made it into that Sam Ash today to try out that "purple" Firebird and I liked it but the nut was damaged on it. There were a couple of dings too. Moved on to a smart wood Les Paul that looked nice from a distance but again had some dings and fairly poor fit and finish at a premium price. Passed on that one too. I tried a 1993 Gibson Les Paul Lite with a trans amber top on it and it was lust at first strum. I tried it on a couple of different amps and made sure that it was the one for me and then bam! It was mine. This thing is lite and plays like a charm. They are 15% off on all used stuff there this weekend so I took advantage of that and now I have guitar #86. I think my wife hates me.

Good deal! I think that says 86. I have no idea what I would do with 86 guitars.

rct

Awesome..

BUT Pictures or it didn't happen [-( :P

And very nice it is too sir.. I like when they have the natural wood around the edge like that...

Happy playing [thumbup]

That is a very fun guitar to play. It is SG light so it is pretty easy on my back. I love my new Traditional as well but that thing is a boat anchor.

Archived