Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 000

Kasper

I guess size and playability is relative. To me dreadnought or a jumbo is huge and it hurts my arm when I play them. As I understand it, the size of a LG guitar is like a Taylor GS mini which I find tiny. I also own a Martin 00028 and the size to me is perfect. Maybe Gibson ocassionally make guitars of that size, but I don't see them very often. I don't think they make any this or last year in their regular production.

I guess size and playability is relative. To me dreadnought or a jumbo is huge and it hurts my arm when I play them. As I understand it, the size of a LG guitar is like a Taylor GS mini which I find tiny. I also own a Martin 00028 and the size to me is perfect. Maybe Gibson ocassionally make guitars of that size, but I don't see them very often. I don't think they make any this or last year in their regular production.

Yes it is definitely relative. I also suffer from pain and a crunchy sound when I try to rotate my arm. I have found comfort in a shallow LG sized body. For me a large lower bout just aggravates my shoulder. I did play a GA last week that, while it has a massive lower bout, the waist was tight enough that I may have been able to play it comfortably. IIRC the LG just seems a little larger that the 00028. Shopping in the Gibson aisle just shows the development history of two different guitar companies. Trying to find apples to apples comparisons can sometimes prove fruitless.

If you're feeling adventurous/sinister, try one of the Mk series from the '70s. Pretty much bang on 000 size, and if you find one that's intact and looked after, they can be surprisingly sweet sounding. The Mk53 is the peach in the Mk basket to my ears and eyes, lovely Maple tone.

Funny looking, though.

Archived