Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal Power Supply Advice for a n00b

nikko18

Howdy gents!

Been quite a while since I've been online, but I'm in need of some advice and this has always been a great place to come for just that. I've recently been seriously upgrading my whole setup and have added a new amp and a few new pedals. Enough pedals that I'm going to need to put together my first board and purchase a power supply. I'm a little confused on the whole AC/DC thing though, and wondering just how important it is. Don't want to sink money into a power supply just to have it not work with my setup. As it is, I've got five pedals that run on DC, and two that run on AC (all 9volt except for one of the DCs which runs 12 - 20v). From the research I've done so far there doesn't seem to be a power supply that does both. Now, I could most definitely be wrong about that, which is why I decided to just ask some folks with more experience than I. If any of y'all could give me some pointers on power supplies and building a pedal board it would be most appreciated!

Many thanks!

Thanks for the info, gents, and sorry for the late reply! I'm deployed right now so finding my way to a computer for fun stuff takes a minute sometimes.

I think that the 1 SPOT is exactly what I've been looking for, and a lower price is a plus. The rig I've been putting together is a Marshall Haze 15 stack and a Fender Blues Jr (with some mods from Billm) running together through an ABY switch (9v DC) at the end of my chain. The rest of the rig is as follows:

Catalinbread Echorec (9-18v DC)

Earthquaker Devices Palisades (9v DC)

Ibanez Ts9 Tube Screamer (9v AC)

Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone (12-20v DC (wtf))

Vox Wah (9v AC)

Korg Black Out Tuner (9v DC)

Not totally sure on the order I'll have 'em in yet, but that's what I'm leaning towards right now. Mainly it's the Wah placement that I'm considering changing. What do y'all think?

One question on the 1 SPOT: It looks to me as though there is only one AC adaptor. Am I seeing that correctly?

If so, do y'all think I'd have a problem daisy chaining my Tube Screamer and Wah together? There seems to be only one AC port, but it does have 800mA of juice which I think would be more than enough for the two pedals, right?

Thanks for the info, gents, and sorry for the late reply! I'm deployed right now so finding my way to a computer for fun stuff takes a minute sometimes.

I think that the 1 SPOT is exactly what I've been looking for, and a lower price is a plus. The rig I've been putting together is a Marshall Haze 15 stack and a Fender Blues Jr (with some mods from Billm) running together through an ABY switch (9v DC) at the end of my chain. The rest of the rig is as follows:

Catalinbread Echorec (9-18v DC)

Earthquaker Devices Palisades (9v DC)

Ibanez Ts9 Tube Screamer (9v AC)

Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone (12-20v DC (wtf))

Vox Wah (9v AC)

Korg Black Out Tuner (9v DC)

Not totally sure on the order I'll have 'em in yet, but that's what I'm leaning towards right now. Mainly it's the Wah placement that I'm considering changing. What do y'all think?

The order is fine. But you can always try different paths. Wah pedals sound very distinctively whether before or after overdrives and distortions. How d'you use the ts9 and the Palisades? It looks like the screamer is boosting the Palisades, right?

And, are you sure about those AC powered pedals?

I also have an Ibanez TS-9 and a Vox V847 Wah and they both work well with DC power supply!

Well, I'll be! Guess I was wrong on those two. Thanks for the info, man! Glad I decided to ask y'all before purchasing anything.

If everything I'm running is DC I might look into the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+. I'd been looking at them before, but thought I needed AC power as well. I like the option of have the volt sag for the Tube screamer.

With the Ts9 and Palisades I'm still experimenting. I really dig the sound of both of them separately for different tones, but haven't experimented with them together yet. I only have one 9v power supply out here so it's either the Palisades or the Echorec. Can't do both at the same time, so I've been running the Ts9 and Echorec together until I get my master power supply. My idea is to usually run them separately for different types of overdrive. Use the Palisades for heavier stuff, and the Ts9 for bluesier bits. I like to run my amps pretty clean and get the overdrive from the pedals though, so I may end up using one or the other pedal as a kind of base overdrive sound and the other for a boost for leads n such. Although, the Palisades has two gain channels and a boost already so that may not be necessary.

Honestly, I've just had the Tube Screamer forever and just recently got the Palisades. I don't want to get rid of the Screamer but it does seem a bit redundant having both. [lol]

Archived