Gibson Brands Forums

VOX V251 GUITAR ORGAN

Rabs

This came up on my suggested videos this morning. I know everyone praises EHX for their organ line but when you compare it to this it doesnt seem like the idea has progressed much. I've never spent much time listening to **** but I definitely will be from now on

This came up on my suggested videos this morning. I know everyone praises EHX for their organ line but when you compare it to this it doesnt seem like the idea has progressed much. I've never spent much time listening to **** but I definitely will be from now on

They are two very different concepts. The guitar organ basically uses each fret as a switch. Each fret is wired to the organ circuit. When you fret your A string at the 5th fret for example, there is an electrical contact between the A string and 5th fret, and the guitar organ knows to generate a D the same way it would if you pressed a key on a normal synth/organ.

So the guitar organ is not processing a sound from the pickups, but generating an oscillation like a synthesizer. You can see that the string does not need to be picked or strummed for the organ sound to be generated. You can imagine that this method allows for more convincing organ-like sounds due to the ability to play more complex chords and arpeggios with two hands on the fretboard

The actual timbre of the organ sound could be improved these days, but IMO they had the best concept for the way the strings and fretboard control the signal.

D!ck Denny was an absolute genius. For us effects geeks, he is a legend that created some of the most influential circuits that people still copy and use every day. For me it was cool to see him in this video, especially because he also shows some impressive guitar skills :)

Thanks for sharing Rabs

Archived