Gibson Brands Forums

Who do you find REALLY inspiring in music, and why

Pinch

youtube.com/watch?v=I53v5HY3SHM

I understand mr. Warren Zevon departed just weeks after playing Letterman, that he'd known he was terminal for like a year, and he spent it recording his last album and playing Letterman - the above truly is "Genius", as it were - when he was just an inch away from death.

Notice Paul Shaffer at 01:18 and even more so at 02:13, and then tell me music isn't the world's most beautiful - and universal - language.

That's an artist (Warren). Then you're true to your school. He's just weeks away from the great big gig in the sky, and he chooses to treat us to the song above.

He's my everyday reminder that even if there's one person listening - hell, even if it's yourself - what each and every one of does when we play guitar, it's of significance.

Oh, and also that you can use the word "methadone" in a lyric and still be succesful.

I find a lot of inspiration from a lot of different musicians. That includes individual players, bands, solo artists and whoever else. There's some bands and some songs I really love. There's a lot of guitarists I really like. That's kind of vague but I'm definitely inspired by people who have been playing for years and still love it. I saw Peter Frampton on Axxess TV the other day and he was great! He's still a fantastic player and you could tell he really loved playing and still having fun. That was inspirational for me. I might see a local band and be inspired by the way they play. I think it varies from day to day, year to year. I've always liked David Letterman's band as well, especially when they were a four piece.

John Lennon because he was a songwriting genius to me.

John Hiatt because he is a songwriting genius to me.

Jimmy Page, Johnny Winter, Brian May, Pete Townsend, and Keith Richards because they are my guitar heroes.

I find it inspiring when someone is not just phoning it in like the Stones have been doing for a majority of their career. When someone brings it and delivers that is the business. I saw the Stones in '81 and J Giels and George Thorogood opened for the and made them look silly. This is a band that is called The Greatest Rock And Roll Band In The World. Laughable.

Yeah the Stones just became a traveling cabaret act. I love the old stuff (generally pre 1980) but can't stand watching them live, especially when they have all those back up singers and a stand in bass player. Mick doing the same schtick at 75 as he did at 25 is just absurd.

I recently watched an interview with Carol Kaye and the way she plays inspires me. If I could play 1/100th as well as she can I'd be happy. The way she can play any kind of music and is just such a stone cold pro is amazing. I think she was in her 70s or maybe 80s in the interview I saw and she could still go from song to song style to style instantly. Just an amazing player and I really admire her attitude towards playing and bring professional.

Oh! I like Nita Strauss, who plays in Alice Cooper's touring band.

I don't super-rate her playing, and God knows what a technically proficient player like her is doing playing Ibanez guitars, but maybe she'll end up a role model?

Half the species own actual ovaries, yet the m/f guitarist ratio is severly slanted. Which is fine. The best player wins. But it wouldn't hurt if more girls saw guitar as a viable option, would it?

(Izzy agreeing in 3... 2... 1...)

Archived