Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Studio T Wine Red

Jimmi

Recently I purchased one of the beauties and can't get over the fresh factory smell. The guy said he just unboxed and hung it up on the wall. Wonder how long the awesome fragrance will last.

I may be crazy but I'm thinking about returning it for one that I can take home and unbox it myself. Something about it just doesn't feel/look right to me so I think I can justify my decision if I do.

Hell, maybe I should take it to the next level and seriously look into the HP's.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Recently I purchased one of the beauties and can't get over the fresh factory smell. The guy said he just unboxed and hung it up on the wall. Wonder how long the awesome fragrance will last.

I may be crazy but I'm thinking about returning it for one that I can take home and unbox it myself. Something about it just doesn't feel/look right to me so I think I can justify my decision if I do.

Hell, maybe I should take it to the next level and seriously look into the HP's.

You're thinking about returning a guitar just so you can get another one to unbox? Yeah...that's pretty nuts.

If you're not happy with the guitar and want to upgrade, that's certainly your choice to return it and get one you're happy with. Ordering another just to unbox it and maybe have the smell longer is pretty funny but I can relate. My new Standard still has that smell after 6 months of having it out and playing it daily for hours. It was my first brand new guitar and it had been hanging on the rack. I'd like to have the original cardboard box but in the end, it's just cardboard. Unboxing my new Tribute was definitely awesome and I still have the boxes it came with. When opening the box yourself, you assume the risk of something being wrong with it as well or damage during shipping.

I can tell you that the new HP and the new Standard are great guitars and I'm very happy with mine. You could always have the store order one for you and ask them to let you unpack it or buy your new one online. Good luck and let us know what you decide and what you end up with. Oh, and show pictures of it too!

Couple interesting comments from you clowns (I ment guys)... [laugh]

The smell I'm talking about is the lacquer finish. She thought I was nuts until she "took a whif". Is MichaelT the only one who knows?

Of course the box would be for storage and/or shipping purposes. What else?? The only way to get it was to return the one I have, then order the same or better and have it shipped (I like the idea of store unboxing with me present).

The "something doesn't look right" comment comes from the way the neck is attached to the body (high E side). I'll take it back for them to have a look and go from there.

Hope I did not offend any "clowns" because I am a newbie and don't know better!

I guess my comments come from the stress involved with purchasing a quality instrument. It's like everything has to be "perfect" or buyers remorse just might influence my judgement. lol

I'll be sure to get some pictures posted [thumbup]

My guitars are in stands so I can grab them, cases are for transport not smelling.

So are mine; they're on the walls ready to grab. The case is in the closet, but still has that smell, is what I meant.

Once it goes away you are going to have to go and get a hanging smelling thing we put in our cars in that new case smell.

:lol: I did not know there is a "new case smell" scent. Learn something new everyday I guess. :lol:

Once it goes away you are going to have to go and get a hanging smelling thing we put in our cars in that new case smell.

I think we should propose that to Gibson. They make a case air freshener with that new guitar smell and a bonus one for the car! We'll make a meeeeeellion dollars. Or, they'll laugh at us. Of course, they also laughed at Les Paul and his log guitar too.

Now that we covered the "smell", it's time I got serious for a moment.

I earlier mentioned that something did not seem right on the high e side.... turns out that the sound from the high e string is more quiet or I could say weaker compared to the other strings (only when amplified). I don't think this is normal coming from a brand new factory fresh guitar.

What do you guys think about this?

Now that we covered the "smell", it's time I got serious for a moment.

I earlier mentioned that something did not seem right on the high e side.... turns out that the sound from the high e string is more quiet or I could say weaker compared to the other strings (only when amplified). I don't think this is normal coming from a brand new factory fresh guitar.

What do you guys think about this?

Take it to your guitar tech and have them set it up how you would like it or set it up yourself. Make the adjustments to get it exactly how you want it.

• 2 months later...

So anyways, to make a long story short, GC did authorize a replacement (after the 45 day policy) and I am now extremely satisfied.

Am glad it worked out and thanks to all those who contributed to this thread.

2017 Studio T Wine Red

Ugh, sorry to intrude, but the smell is NOT a vanilla scent sprayed into the case. It's the nitro coating on the guitar. Smells like vanilla, cupcakes, butterscotch, etc etc. Ive had this on all my gloss coat Gibson's and a couple of them have never seen the inside of a Gibson case. They very well may spray a scent into the case but that is not the cause of the lasting smell. My '12 Standard that sits in a smokey bar half the day can attest to that. And it still smells like cupcakes.

Not very important, just wanted to clear up any misinformation.

Ugh, sorry to intrude, but the smell is NOT a vanilla scent sprayed into the case. It's the nitro coating on the guitar. Smells like vanilla, cupcakes, butterscotch, etc etc. Ive had this on all my gloss coat Gibson's and a couple of them have never seen the inside of a Gibson case. They very well may spray a scent into the case but that is not the cause of the lasting smell. My '12 Standard that sits in a smokey bar half the day can attest to that. And it still smells like cupcakes.

“Ugh”?

NOPE...

I have worked with nitro, it smells nothing like vanilla.. It smells like what it is a toxic chemical... And when dry smells like nothing.

I contacted Gibson myself and they told me they add a vanilla scent...

No misinformation here.

NOPE...

I have worked with nitro, it smells nothing like vanilla.. It smells like what it is a toxic chemical... And when dry smells like nothing.

No misinformation here.

I wonder if they sell the scent? Do you know when they started doing that?

I wonder if they sell the scent? Do you know when they started doing that?

That I don't know...

The first Gibson I bought was in like 1993.. It didn't have any smell (but didn't come with a hardcase as it was a Studio)... Then the next new one I bought was in 2002.. I think that did have a smell initially but I keep my guitars on stands out of their cases so none of them smell like that any more.

So I just literally right now went and smelled my cases [rolleyes] :) The one from 2002 doesn't smell of anything any more.. The one I have from 2010 amazingly still has a very faint smell...

NOPE...

No misinformation here.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/87068-whats-that-smell/

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/whats-that-smell.153821/

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-28/1381381-

Archived