Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Safari

theflyingturtle

I'm tired. Somehow the stars aligned and it all came together. I am down one tank of fuel and up one Hiwatt, a Marshall, a Gibson, and a Tokai. My eyes are red. Curse you Joe Bonamassa for putting that idea in my head! I'm too old for this but I am so very, very happy. Each person I met was an exceptional human being and things could not have gone smoother. Today goes in the top ten list. I'm going to go play with my toys. Phew!

Strange but I have never actually gone out hunting for or with the intent of buying a guitar or amp. As long as I an recall they have just fallen into my lap. Just last week I was contacted to see if I was interested in either a 1963 Epiphone Frontier or a pre-1955 Gibson J-50 (not sure of the exact year as all I got were photos). I could have had either or both sent to me to give the tires a good kick with the only caveat being if I did not buy I would pay shipping both ways. While the Epi tempted me more than the J-50 (I already own that 1942 J-50) I passed mainly because I am going to stick to my guns and have a broken neck on a mid-1960s burst Harmony-built Silvertone Sovereign (which I acquired last month) repaired before I will even think of buying anything new.

Strange but I have never actually gone out hunting for or with the intent of buying a guitar or amp. As long as I an recall they have just fallen into my lap. Just last week I was contacted to see if I was interested in either a 1963 Epiphone Frontier or a pre-1955 Gibson J-50 (not sure of the exact year as all I got were photos). I could have had either or both sent to me to give the tires a good kick with the only caveat being if I did not buy I would pay shipping both ways. While the Epi tempted me more than the J-50 (I already own that 1942 J-50) I passed mainly because I am going to stick to my guns and have a broken neck on a mid-1960s burst Harmony-built Silvertone Sovereign (which I acquired last month) repaired before I will even think of buying anything new.

I played one of those Sovereigns at GC last month and it was a fabulous guitar.

Archived