Gibson Brands Forums

Gloss vs VOS

Black Dog

When it comes to Reissue LP's which do you prefer and why? Sadly I don't really have access to a shop that has a bunch, or really any, of these to look at side by side. Can't tell too much by pictures on the internet. I think I like the VOS better. It also looks like the VOS has aged hardware from what I can tell.

I refer VOS, when I bought my R8 the gloss version was $400 more. I really didn't think it was worth that much to pay for a shiny guitar.

I like the VOS finish a lot, my LP has a lot of nicks and scratches now and looks great.

I'm not sure if the hardware is artificially aged, or whether it just ages very quickly, if you get my meaning. My R0 looks very nice - not glossy, but smart, and the old-looking hardware gives it a vintage look. [thumbup]

Preferred gloss the whole time, although I'm not minding the VOS as much as I used to. The aged hardware bugs me a bit; on some models they take it too far and it looks aged, not just dulled, like with rust. The finish on the guitar is nice with the VOS, though.

Thanks for the replies. I probably should have realized how thoroughly this topic has been beaten in the past. I generally don't like artificially aged stuff very much. However, I don't think the super shiny hardware and finish looks right to me. Dulled is good, rust is too much. Anyway I'm leaning heavily towards VOS at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived