Gibson Brands Forums

The 2017 SG Standard and the Poker Chip

Micrmay2113

So the 2017 Standards don't come with poker chips around the toggle switch. Even though I think it looks fine without one, I thought I'd throw one on anyways. I have this black chip that was originally on my Epiphone G400, but replaced it with a white poker chip because I remember seeing Angus Young do it on one of his guitars.

I may consider putting witch hat knobs on it as well. That's what I currently have on my Epiphone.

What do you guys think? Would you or will you add one to yours?

http://imgur.com/a/Ly1uU

Congrats on your new SG! [thumbup] She looks nice! [love]

Anyway, I think I would either mount a black RHYTHM/TREBLE washer with white script in Gibson font and black Speed Knobs, or a black RHYTHM/TREBLE washer with golden script in Gibson font and black Witchhat Knobs, and in any case a cream toggle-switch tip. These would be two of the period-correct combinations that came stock on most of my SGs.

I don't like Tophat and Reflector Knobs, mainly not because of their looks but their lack of grip.

Congrats on your new SG! [thumbup] She looks nice! [love]

Anyway, I think I would either mount a black RHYTHM/TREBLE washer with white script in Gibson font and black Speed Knobs, or a black RHYTHM/TREBLE washer with golden script in Gibson font and black Witchhat Knobs, and in any case a cream toggle-switch tip. These would be two of the period-correct combinations that came stock on most of my SGs.

I don't like Tophat and Reflector Knobs, mainly not because of their looks but their lack of grip.

Yeah I think the stock knobs look a bit cheap for a $1300 dollar guitar. I love the look of the Witch hat knobs and the cream switch washer. I did that on my Epiphone when I was in high school because of one of Angus Young's SGs. I may do the same again haha

The washer I put on my Gibson is actually from the Epiphone before I put the white one on there.

Yeah I think the stock knobs look a bit cheap for a $1300 dollar guitar. I love the look of the Witch hat knobs and the cream switch washer. I did that on my Epiphone when I was in high school because of one of Angus Young's SGs. I may do the same again haha

The washer I put on my Gibson is actually from the Epiphone before I put the white one on there.

Yes, you mentioned that before, and the font clearly says that, too. In contrary, some of the more recent Epiphones come stock with switch washers featuring the font Gibson used for decades. I guess Gibson supplied these from their stock since they stopped using them.

Anyway, I don't think Tophat Knobs look cheap. I just miss some grip as I posted before.

Yes, you mentioned that before, and the font clearly says that, too. In contrary, some of the more recent Epiphones come stock with switch washers featuring the font Gibson used for decades. I guess Gibson supplied these from their stock since they stopped using them.

Anyway, I don't think Tophat Knobs look cheap. I just miss some grip as I posted before.

My bad, it had already slipped my mind that I mentioned it. I guess the top hat knobs just look a bit too plain for my tastes though.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it does look decent even without the poker chip. I recently got a 2017 SG Special without the poker chip and decided to pick one up from StewMac. It took less than five minutes to install with the proper tool to hold the round piece in front of the chip.

• 1 month later...

Archived