Gibson Brands Forums

First of the 2018s??

Rabs

Seems odd that this is the only one listed as a 2018 but the specs are a tad different to the current model??

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Tribute.aspx

This one (apparently) has no weight relief and a slightly different pickup combo..

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/LPTR18LSGNH1/left-handed-electric-guitars/gibson-usa-2018-les-paul-tribute-in-satin-gold-left-handed

Seems odd that this is the only one listed as a 2018 but the specs are a tad different to the current model??

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Tribute.aspx

This one (apparently) has no weight relief and a slightly different pickup combo..

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/LPTR18LSGNH1/left-handed-electric-guitars/gibson-usa-2018-les-paul-tribute-in-satin-gold-left-handed

Interestingly enough, the Andertons page says that the guitar is discontinued. These Tributes seem to be the hottest selling Gibsons this year from what I can see from the local stores. They can't keep the gold tops in stock.

Interestingly enough, the Andertons page says that the guitar is discontinued. These Tributes seem to be the hottest selling Gibsons this year from what I can see from the local stores. They can't keep the gold tops in stock.

Did you go up to KoP today?

rct

Did you go up to KoP today?

rct

Looks like thay have a ebony firebird on their instagram page now. It does not have the stienberger tuners though. Something about a firebird with exposed tuning knobs/keys never has looked quite right to me. Hopefully Friday is the full roll out for the new line, the Anticipation is killing me!!! Haha

Sorry, why do Gibsons need to have a specific year stamped onto them and this supposedly be of some meaningful importance again?

this is only my guess, but could it be because of changes to models from one year to the next have been pretty frequent in recent history? also, models come and go fairly regularly too.

this is only my guess, but could it be because of changes to models from one year to the next have been pretty frequent in recent history? also, models come and go fairly regularly too.

Could be man, but then which is the chicken and which is the egg...oh man, it's time to change the damned stamp again, better throw a few changes into the mix cos folks will want to know what's different with the '18's...

And where does this leave the pipe-smokin', beard-strokin' self anointed father figures among us who earnestly proclaim to anyone who asks advice that they must "try as many as possible before you buy, till you find the one..." - where does year fit into the mix? Try as many as possible from the year that has what we deem to be the 'right' spec, or ... [biggrin] thankfully out there in the real world people prolly just grab the one they think looks pretty and take it to the counter..otherwise you'd wonder that they sell any at all. [laugh]

Sorry, why do Gibsons need to have a specific year stamped onto them and this supposedly be of some meaningful importance again?

So the discerning collector can strategically place mirrors behind his rack o' Pauls and wax eloquent about the relevant features of each cuvee. It's not easy owning all them you know.

rct

That 2017 Tribute in Rab's original post really looks like a pretty good value. It's fairly stripped down with a satin finish, gig bag and all, but a good set of pups, rosewood board, nice "plain" grain on the top. Just looks like a good player type guitar. Gibson site showing a MSRP of $999 so probably can get it for less than that retail.

Funny at this price point they toss in a strap, polish cloth, and a couple of wrenches. Buy a $5000 Custom Shop guitar and get a generic owners manual and a COA (big deal).

Archived