Gibson Brands Forums

All of the tone, less of the braggage ?

62burst

An interesting Gibson into the last day on it's eBay auction, "low reserve". Without it's original finish, without it's Banner logo. Fretboard extension fitment doesn't necessarily look like Gibson's work- maybe a reset neck by another party, and definitely looking to have high action again. A chance to get a possibly great sounding 70 year old guitar with an ~ 50 year old finish?

Could masquerade as a J-50, or, with a thinner batwing guard, a Country Western.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1943-1944-or-1945-J-45-SJ-Gibson-Banner-Wartime-Acoustic-Guitar-/332353889812?hash=item4d61d5e614:g:isoAAOSwLzhZnMc3

n2z8Ior.png

Gibson did some really awful things to guitars that came back for repair/refinish jobs back in the day. They liked to 'update' as opposed to doing restoration. Hard to tell who did the neck reset, but I, too, doubt it was done by Gibson.

Not sure what is "odd" about the fretboard extension, especially given this is a Banner guitar. If you recall, one of the two book matched top pieces on my 1942 was mistakenly flip flopped. But Old Cowboy is right. When Gibson got a guitar for restoration they tended to use whatever parts that were using on their stock guitars at the time. If Gibson did the work, the FON should be stamped on the back of the headstock. At one time, this is how they identified guitars they "restored."

Glue squeeze-out in that area is not something I've seen with Gibson factory work: Edit: ok, so maybe the neck was not removed for the re-fin, and that is just clear lacquer build up?

FuFRESB.png

with the 5 pc neck, unbound, and if that's real m.o.p. for the fretboard inlays (last year pearl used was '46, & not uncommon for that year to have no f.o.n.), this could actually be a re-fin'ed post-Banner ex-script logo SJ. (seller verifies tapered headstock.)

. . . still, with the seller's description, and even with the good possibility of a neck reset in it's future, it could still be a very nice guitar.

That saddle is a bit low, but the split at the endpin probably means the guitar has been dropped very hard and the endblock would have to be split to match!

Not insurmountable stuff we see and my luthier could whoop it into shape and it would be a stunning addition to Chez BK's Home For The Unwanted, but......bottom line.....how much would that make?

BluesKing777.

That saddle is a bit low, but the split at the endpin probably means the guitar has been dropped very hard and the endblock would have to be split to match!

True- and as you mention, a fairly straightforward repair to that endpin crack, with a very good chance of being barely detectable.

Not insurmountable stuff we see and my luthier could whoop it into shape and it would be a stunning addition to Chez BK's Home For The Unwanted, but......bottom line.....how much would that make?

BluesKing777.

Please clarify the "how much would that make" ? Because, Yes, BK's Home for Wayward Guitars always has room!

Sold for $1101.00

Definitely a good deal for someone. If I felt the need, might have run the price up a bit, but right now it'd seem as though I was just being too enthusiastic. Have a 1954 LG-2 3/4 that needs a new plate and bridge, and some maintenance items on others that should come first anyhow. Getting lazy (and cheap?) in my old age, perhaps.

My luthier has been so busy that my new nut on a guitar has so far taken 3 weeks Wednesday.

That Gibson in the ad would take a while......

If there was somewhere you could go, book it in and take it on the day of work instead of waiting, waiting for something that hasn't even begun, well that would be good. But my patience is thin and I wish all the very best to whoever bought it! [biggrin]

I think I like guitars where everything has just been done!

BluesKing777.

My luthier has been so busy that my new nut on a guitar has so far taken 3 weeks Wednesday.

That Gibson in the ad would take a while......

If there was somewhere you could go, book it in and take it on the day of work instead of waiting, waiting for something that hasn't even begun, well that would be good. But my patience is thin and I wish all the very best to whoever bought it! [biggrin]

I think I like guitars where everything has just been done!

BluesKing777.

Been there as well. The issue with having a top notch luthier, at least around here, is that he's likely - as it should be - to be very busy. At one time, I had two. Both were Gibson trained in Kalamazoo, and one did most of Gibson's warranty stuff for this area. The other was faster, but passed away a few years ago. So the wait factors in a lot these days.

Putting that 1950s Epi Triumph Regent and 1920s Supertone mandolin (neither of which was playable) back on the road last year has at least temporarily cured me of my fixation with saving guitars. Both of those about drove me crazy. Add to that the rather long list of instruments laying around here still in need of attention(two Harmony Sovereigns, an Oscar Schmidt "Westbrook" Stella, a Schmidt Galiano Jumbo, a mid-1930s Kay K-6, and a 1935 Recording King Mandolin) Woof's Home for Abused and Wayward Guitars is closed.

Archived