Gibson Brands Forums

The Bayou City

Buc McMaster

Well folks, in case you hadn't heard, it's raining in Texas. Doo doo doo lookin' out my front door........

pDhKyvT.jpg

And it's still raining. And they say it will keep this up for 2-3 more days. Sheesh. Guess I won't make the open mic this evening........

Watching this on the news all morning. Estimates of $40B in damage. Another 12'' forecast when Harvey comes back .

We lived there for 11 years, 10 years ago. I was stranded several times by much smaller storms. Had to wade home for a few miles when I got as far as I could without washing out my car.

Occasionally, you see a strange brown pulsating mass float by and realize it's hundreds of thousands of Red Ants/Fire Ants - holding onto a floating branch. Looking for higher ground - like the top of your head!

Stay safe Buc. Hunker down indoors.

Thanks for the good wishes, folks. We live on the highest ground in the city, approximately 32ft above sea level in this area (just west of downtown), so we get some serious street flooding but almost no water in the homes here. Can't say that about many other areas. Been live TV all day of hundreds of people wading waist-deep out of subdivisions and suburbs. Homes flooded, cars inundated in driveways, freeways submerged and become rivers. Been here since 1976 and this is the worst event I have witnessed. Rain has slacked off for now but they say the storm as a weakened low pressure area will circle back to the coast and move north across the city again on Tuesday or so. Ain't over yet.......but we're okay here at the house. I imagine the damage will run into the billions when all is said and done.

This morning reported on FoxNews that Houston has decided to 'open up the flood gates'. I guess they have Flood Control gates they use to keep flood waters out of the central areas of the city and the 'dams' behind them are at full capacity - so they have no choice. The Army Corps of Engineers did a lot of work on flood control there in the 1980's after a bad hurricane.

Hope this doesn't affect you Buc!!!!

Wow. Last night was pretty scary. Incredibly heavy rain fell for nearly 3 hours......continuously. Water rose to within 3-4" of entering the house near midnight. Couldn't get a photo in the dark, nasty conditions but if you look at the photo in the first post.........the water was lapping at the top step of the neighbor's house across the street. Unreal rainfall.

And yes, 40, they are opening the gates of a flood control area to relieve pressure on the dam. This will release water into a major bayou that winds from the far west right through the middle of downtown......a major bayou that is already out of it's banks, spilling water across the city. Bad situation. If they don't relieve this pressure the dam could fail and empty the entire reservoir on the surrounding suburbs.

Buc:

I'm over on Vermont Street, near Richard's Liquors at Shepherd and San Felipe so I can't be too far from you. Yes, the impression I've always gotten was that the older parts of town were built on the higher ground first. I've been practicing bluegrass fiddle tunes on the AJ but it's hard to really concentrate when all this stuff is going on.

From the looks of your neighbor's house across the street I would have placed you in the Heights - note to non-Houstonians- that house you see does not have a basement, it's built easily a foot off the ground, likely on concrete blocks. Those inches from the curb to the front door step plate represents a whole lot of rain.

Charlie

We're okay down here in the swamp. Just over 51" officially in just four days...........about half our annual rainfall. Much of the city is still inundated with many bayous and rivers still rising from runoff well outside the city. All in all it's been quite an experience. This is the fourth hurricane/tropical storm I've sat though down here......undoubtably the worst flooding ever. Not so much wind for us as the storm went in south of here but the volume of water dumped is incredible. Long road home from this one........

Archived