Gibson Brands Forums

Nickle Firbird rings for post 91 size

sydbarret

Hi

I replace my 91 Firebird Pickups with a vintage style pickup and put a historic light wt Tp on it. But my pickup rings are the stock chrome and look awful.. However, all after market pickup rings are too small and do not match the standard Gibson screw hole or outer dimensions. Nor can I find any Gibson after market parts in nickel or chrome. My micrometer says the rings are 3.61" wide, screw center to center IIRC is 87mm or 89mm. Forgot my measurements one the 2nd one

If you have the original pickup ring, you can plate it... That's an alternative you can use to update the look of all your hardware if you must. Either you can find someone that performs this service or spend some money on some tools to do this. Either that, or you machine some metal to size and plate it somehow... This of course takes a bit more work and expertise since you have to know how to work with metal. I highly doubt you will readily find the replacement hardware as something to buy brand new... Not much of a market for things like this. Very unlikely, you could find a scrap guitar at an auction or something like that. This is not very economical, but could surplus you with replacement parts. I suppose the only place else to find these PU rings are if someone decides to scrap a Firebird and sell the individual components. Overall, I see that if you have intact original PU rings, get them cleaned up, and re-plate them. Not going to be necessarily cheap, but since you have functional part, you are halfway there.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update

I bought the Stew Mac gold Gibson Firebird rings. I then used polish in an attempt to remove the gold plating. Well sure enough it was easy to remove the gold plating and expose the nickel underneath. I then aged the rings and they look great.

So anyone looking for nickel Firebird rings you can buy the gold ones and polish off the gold plating to get to the nickel.

Archived