Gibson Brands Forums

The fallout from the guitar safari

theflyingturtle

On Friday I want on a Joe Bonamassa inspired "guitar safari", got home at 2:30 in the morning with a nearly empty fuel tank and a trunk full of gear. Then I stayed up until sunrise playing with my toys and woke up a few hours later fully realizing that I am not a young man anymore. Friday goes in the books as one of the top 10 days of my life and the kicker is.... I ain't even done yet. This rabbit hole goes on until I am done. I am in the process of building a Pink Floyd rig (circa 1972). I have the guitar, amp, and some of the pedals. Now I need to turn my attention to the cabinet and speakers. I know David used Hiwatt cabs with Fane speakers but I will not be playing Wembley Stadium. I need something applicable to an 11x22 foot room without going deaf or sterile. SO any suggestions for cabinets, speakers, or solutions you've found through the process would be very appreciated. I would be open to anything from a 1x10 to 2x12 and honestly, a 2x12 is overkill since this will be exclusively a home rig. Speakers and cabs are a black art to me. Thanks!

If you are using a Hiwatt head any cab is going to be loud a h3ll! [biggrin] If you want a home-sized Hiwatt you should check out Reeves Amplification (built by the guy who built those legendary Hiwatts). They have hand-wired, low wattage models that sound amazing!

Too late! There's a David Gilmour Signature 100 watt head sitting in my studio. However, I will look into the Reeves. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I didn't know that.

To misquote the dude in Jaws.."you're gonna need a bigger room."

Sounds like you are having fun there [thumbup]

100w Hiwatt head.... 1x10 speaker....speakers and cabs are a black art...

Might just be worth looking up some of the basics around wattage and ohms and the implications for amps, cabs and speakers...sooner rather than later.

Rock on!

Since you need speakers that can handle over 100W it is pretty much going to be super loud no matter what you use. Best solution I can think of is something like the 2X12 Mojotone Convertible Iso Cab. The thing is going to be a beast if you want to crank it up with any normal cab that can handle the power

I had a Hiwatt 1x12 combo once.

TBH the amp is so loud you will need an attenuator of some sort.

And if 2x12 is too much then consider 1x12, 2x10.

I would go for a closed-back cab - though it's not going to make much difference in the space you have.

Hope you have a good vibe pedal, a delay and a reverb.

I am getting a 2x12 cab this week. I intend to gig it. Will post a thread when it arrives.

Good luck.

I'm kinda a stickler for cosmetics, so my problem would be the width of the head too. If it's wide enough it will look weird on top of anything but a 4-12. As mentioned before a 100 watt head is going to be loud regardless, so it might as well look good while doing it. [biggrin]

I have a HiWatt DC 40 Bulldog 1x12 combo. I bought it used some years back - it came with a Celestion Vintage 30 for the speaker which sounds great. I have no idea if it came originally with a Fane speaker or not. I googled this pic cuz I don't feel like getting up [smile]

ifztaihilqoluysfzcc5.jpg

These are great amps! [thumbup]

Archived