Gibson Brands Forums

First-time jam for New Year's Eve

EddieDean

I went to a party at the house of a friend of my sister and her husband for New Year's Eve. There were about 20-25 people there, a lot of which were musicians. Mostly guitar players, but 2 sax players, a piano player, and the host of the party played harmonica as well as guitar.

When I walked in and sat down my bro-in-law asked if I brought a guitar. I said no and the owner just took the guitar out of his hands and gave it to me, then went and got another for himself.

Although I was extremely reserved in my playing, I really enjoyed it. It was a great learning experience. I had some trouble picking up the chords because of the different fingerings that people use. I would try to find someone who I could read well, but a lot of times they were following someone who was following and by the time I figured out the chord it was too late to use it. Being exposed to different songs and strumming patterns was kew,l too. I think the biggest thing I learned is that you don't have to have a voice like Paulo Nutini to have fun singing in a crowd.

They said they get together almost weekly and bro-in-law offered to pick me up on the way any time I'd like to come. He's been trying to get me to come for a while now, but I've been resisting out of being overly self-conscious of my playing.

I think I'll go next week and bring my own guitar, because I also learned I don't really get a kick out of playing someone else's guitar....I like mine better. =P~

It was an older Yamaha FG-150. It was in pretty good shape, action was good, and the frets weren't worn badly. It sounded pretty good and was fairly comfortable.

Most of the guitars were obviously "take-to-a-drunken-party" guitars, except my bro-in-law's. He refuses to take anything but his D-28 to a jam. He sez he bought it to play it....if it gets scuffed up in the process, oh well.

Woo! That sounds great, Kev!! I'm so envious! I wish I could find a group of ppl to jam with. It's kinda rough for me out there. Female. Married. Not a very good player. Don't know anyone who really, really cares about music. It's kinda sad, actually. BOO HOO!

I hope you take advantage of the opportunity. I hear it's a great way to learn!! And if you don't wanna, tell the bro to swing by and pick me up! I'll bring the b00ze!

Archived