Gibson Brands Forums

Unique Epiphone SG?

MickeyL

I have a 1996 Epiphone SG from the Saein plant in Korea. It has a guard around the input jack that matches the pick guard. It also has a black insert where the neck meets the body. I haven't seen another one like this anywhere. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is stock, custom, etc. Ser #I6121541

post-87062-032972000 1503955103_thumb.jpg

I have a 1996 Epiphone SG from the Saein plant in Korea. It has a guard around the input jack that matches the pick guard. It also has a black insert where the neck meets the body. I haven't seen another one like this anywhere. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is stock, custom, etc. Ser #I6121541

post-87062-032972000 1503955103_thumb.jpg

Neither of those is stock. The neck does not appear to be original to this guitar --- I've never seen an Epiphone SG with a neck that much smaller than the top of the body, nor with such a pronounced curve. It looks like a bolt-on neck that's been mounted to the body. This is a more typical Epiphone SG set neck joint:

sc_b007agr6ke-04body_lg.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I also have a 2012 Epi SG and it's like you have pictured. I can only assume the 1996 has been modified although the rest of it all appears to be stock and original. The rest of the neck also looks normal.

I bet it was added by a previous owner.

I have an SG (2001) and since the guitar is so thin to begin with by the time you have to rout out the wood for the pots and input jack the amount of wood left that the input jack attaches to is like the thickness of a stick of gum. All it takes is for you to step on your cable and the wood that the jack is mounted to will crack.

I actually fitted a Stratocaster type input jack to my SG. I have a picture that was on photophucket...but we all know what happened there. :(

Also my SG came with reflector knobs, not speed knobs. Not sure what they came with in '96 but I'm guessing the knobs were changed out too.

You're probably right about the guard being added for extra strength. According to Wikipedia, "In 1996, several features of the G-400 were changed. These changes included black "top hat" knobs with silver inserts, trapezoidal fretboard inlays, chrome covers on the humbuckers, and a "holly" headstock inlay." so it appears the knobs have also been changed out.

I bet it was added by a previous owner.

I have an SG (2001) and since the guitar is so thin to begin with by the time you have to rout out the wood for the pots and input jack the amount of wood left that the input jack attaches to is like the thickness of a stick of gum. All it takes is for you to step on your cable and the wood that the jack is mounted to will crack.

I actually fitted a Stratocaster type input jack to my SG. I have a picture that was on photophucket...but we all know what happened there. :(

Also my SG came with reflector knobs, not speed knobs. Not sure what they came with in '96 but I'm guessing the knobs were changed out too.

Archived