Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Gibson SG Special

Kellison

So, after not giving Gibson a chance in 2015 with the G force tuners and brass nut, and wider neck, I finally picked up a NOS 2015 Gibson SG Special yesterday for $549.00 plus a case. I took this thing home and played it for about an hour. It took me a few minutes to get used to the wider fretboard but after that it started to get really comfortable. Sustain was very good with the brass nut. Ok so today I decided to change strings and get some practice on this G Force tuner thing. I read the directions on how to change strings and completed the string change in about 30 minutes. Hit the button and the strings went right in tune, no issues at all. In looking over the guitar, this thing has no flaws and the setup was really good. For me the bottom line, is I wish I would have not dismissed the 2015 Gibson Lineup just because I thought the changes and innovations were not worthy of the Gibson name. Eventhough the prices went up in 2015 I just thought my fellow SG owners would be interested to know what the guitar is about. Every major retailer is blowing all of the NOS 2015s out. It just may be a good time to pick up a good Gibson guitar for about half price.

So, after not giving Gibson a chance in 2015 with the G force tuners and brass nut, and wider neck, I finally picked up a NOS 2015 Gibson SG Special yesterday for $549.00 plus a case. I took this thing home and played it for about an hour. It took me a few minutes to get used to the wider fretboard but after that it started to get really comfortable. Sustain was very good with the brass nut. Ok so today I decided to change strings and get some practice on this G Force tuner thing. I read the directions on how to change strings and completed the string change in about 30 minutes. Hit the button and the strings went right in tune, no issues at all. In looking over the guitar, this thing has no flaws and the setup was really good. For me the bottom line, is I wish I would have not dismissed the 2015 Gibson Lineup just because I thought the changes and innovations were not worthy of the Gibson name. Eventhough the prices went up in 2015 I just thought my fellow SG owners would be interested to know what the guitar is about. Every major retailer is blowing all of the NOS 2015s out. It just may be a good time to pick up a good Gibson guitar for about half price.

Damn. The secret is out.

See what mob mentality can do? Even on the internet? Personally, I've stocked up up 2015s at hysteria prices including one like yours from Sam Ash, but with another $20 off.

You're right, they're great.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a 2015 SG Standard from SAMASH. I am glad that i didn't listen to all of the negative hype! I got it for $849 too! I would not hesitate to buy another 2015 Gibson. That LP DC at 549 is calling my name!

Congratulations on the new 2015. I picked up one of the standard SGs as well at Sam Ash and it ricks.

Hello All! I am new on the board, and a new Gibson owner. Purchased a 2017 Les Paul Studio Plus T in Desert-burst in Sep, then two weeks ago, a 2015 SG Special from Sam Ash. I have wanted a Les Paul since I was a young boy. But, I have always snubbed the SG's. I think I thought they look silly or something, not really sure. Honestly, it is quickly moving to the pole position on my collection. I never thought I would like a guitar even close to as much as I love my Carvin Bolt, but I think that is changing. I wanted the cherry model, but I saw this model and jumped on it. I bought it because of the price, $550 with a $20 off coupon. But it has the 1.8" nut, which I love - my Carvin has a 2" nut. The SG has the Zebra '61 pups and 24 frets. Didn't even realize it had the G-force tuners till after I paid for it. I think the tuners are ok, till they poop out. Then I imagine I will swap them for the Grover locking tuners, like the LP came with. The only think that is pissing me off about these Gibson's is the static. Absurd amount of buzzing, crackling and stuff. My other guitars don't do that crap. But anyway... I don't know if this will go through, but here is a link to photos of the SG https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPF5GR4Ok8KEEAQSaxZGnvpnEn4i9VzjXS190Ypo0OjZjQXCStdQDECGuDLmhOzHQ?key=d3pBdEI4SjhnN1I1M2hLRmZrRjJEZ2RHMFhwNUln And here is a link for the Les Paul https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOVPbtk7SIpaezOGyVbWplIS7Gitjlk-iolRQF8A9zAkTNVXW-yLAeZQcfSOEscwA?key=S2FOdjhQQmZldXZMS3h0Y2lqODRtQU1ULWVFc0Zn Later!

post-88823-093797100 1512010798_thumb.jpg

Archived