Gibson Brands Forums

Huston

daveinspain

I'm from Houston, luckily one of the drier parts we still have power and the only major system failure is that the toilets can't be flushed. We keep hearing and seeing helicopters doing rescues less than a mile from my house. The rain started to slow yesterday - we only got 6 inches at my place instead of the 17.75 that we got on Saturday. My total so far is 34.38 inches (87.3 cm) of rain since it started on Thursday. I've only gotten an inch since midnight which is lucky, if the bayou comes up another foot, my feet get wet!

This was about a mile away yesterday at Buffalo Bayou:

413524884.jpg

And y'all should know, picking you favorite guitar(s) to save is like picking your favorite kid to save.msp_rolleyes.gif Fortunately, it looks like we won't have to evacuate now.

I think I've seen at least 5 people from Houston here over the years, if they were in one of the hard hit areas it may be a while before they can respond. I know Izzy is from Houston.

There have been a few humorous things:

http://www.fox26hous...277021065-video

I live in the Austin area. Other than about 12 inches of rain and some wind damage (trees, tree limbs, power lines, fences, etc.), we have been very lucky here. My mother-in-law lives in Smithville (about 70 miles east and half-way to Houston). She is on high ground and safe, but is pretty much on an island with flooding all around her. And just down the road in La Grange ("A Haw, Haw, Haw, Haw") they are experiencing catastrophic flooding. And it only gets worse as you travel east toward Houston.

On a happy note, my sister-in-law that lives just east of Corpus Christi (just west of Rockport and where the eye of the storm made landfall) returned home to find that other than having part of her fence blown down, her house survived with minimal damage. Incredibly lucky.

I hope our fellow members in the area are all safe and continue to be safe. So sad and unbelievable how much rain thay have recieved.

Yes. :( My best wishes from here, too.

@ Izzy: How are you? Please post and tell us!

1504057089[/url]' post='1878232']

I live in the Austin area. Other than about 12 inches of rain and some wind damage (trees, tree limbs, power lines, fences, etc.), we have been very lucky here. My mother-in-law lives in Smithville (about 70 miles east and half-way to Houston). She is on high ground and safe, but is pretty much on an island with flooding all around her. And just down the road in La Grange ("A Haw, Haw, Haw, Haw") they are experiencing catastrophic flooding. And it only gets worse as you travel east toward Houston.

On a happy note, my sister-in-law that lives just east of Corpus Christi (just west of Rockport and where the eye of the storm made landfall) returned home to find that other than having part of her fence blown down, her house survived with minimal damage. Incredibly lucky.

I tried to convince Deb. to move down to Corpus Christi a few years back. I loved that area, now I'm glad we didn't. Stay safe folks, what a mess.

I tried to convince Deb. to move down to Corpus Christi a few years back. I loved that area, now I'm glad we didn't. Stay safe folks, what a mess.

it's not as bad as you think. The advantage of hurricanes is you know they are coming days in advance and you can prepare. I grew up in the Twin Cities area and remember more times than I can remember where tornadoes ripped through areas near me with little or no warning, creating all kinds of damage. I was also stationed in California while I was in the Marine Corps and experienced earthquakes with no warning. Basically NO TIME to deal with what was happening. For those who live on the Left Coast, just another thing to deal with in their daily lives.

I currently live far enough inland where wind damage from hurricanes is minimal. Torrential rains have the potential to be a major problem.

Archived