Gibson Brands Forums

White label, Orange Label

fretplay

My 13 year old is a standard with an orange label. So, I think the standardization occurred sometime shortly after that. It was after that, I believe, that Bozeman stopped accepting one-off custom orders from individual consumers and shifted to creating 'custom/limited edition' runs (usually of 50) primarily for their 5 star dealers. A wise business decision, imho. Maybe the label guy came up with the idea !?

A wise business decision, imho. Maybe the label guy came up with the idea !?

I betcha it was the Gibson marketing guys. They probably spent a couple $100K on a study of which color would be the most likely to entice us to part with even greater amounts of money.

Just marketing nonsense, see this from 2007: http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/True%20Vintage%20and%20Modern%20Classi/

All True Vintage models feature:

• Traditional binding over fret ends

• Traditional tuners

• Genuine bone nut and saddle

• Extra dark vintage-look amber toner

• Traditional orange label

Not sure when they switched to the white labels, my 1974 J-50 has the orange label, my 2008 has the white label and my 1965 doesn't have any label, just a faded stamp on the wood that says "J50 ADJ BRIDGE". :)

Not sure when they switched to the white labels, my 1974 J-50 has the orange label, my 2008 has the white label and my 1965 doesn't have any label, just a faded stamp on the wood that says "J50 ADJ BRIDGE". :)

My early 1963 B45-12 was one of the first square shoulder versions built. It had a white label like those Gibson used in their classical guitars. Based on the binding which was unlike any other B45-12 I had ever seen, I always suspected it was there to cover Hummingbird (which was the only square shoulder Gibson at the time to have that binding).

Z2BTagt.jpg

I believe the orange labels are the new black labels. ��

Hehe. . .

I actually think the orange labels can be a overwhelming if one gives them too much focus.

They tend to blend with a TV Bird, but stand out in connection with fx the pale topped dark-red-back/sided Firebird. Same with a serious dark-burst 45 or SJ.

After all pang-orange is a sale-poster-color and kind of burdened by that.

But now you say black label - why not, , , with negative white writing. Sounds rather cühl to me.

P.S. - Glad the dear Country Western label never came in orange. That lasso within the uneven cloud-like oval demands white.

Trick-photo ~ m1EL93B.jpg

Can any member tell me the significance between a white or orange label in the sound hole?

Currently, white labels denote standard models and orange labels denote "Custom Shop" or limited runs. The custom shop guitars are typically standard models made in the same shop by the same people, but have specs that are non-standard in some way, i.e. different tuners, different burst colors, different nut and saddle material, different tonewoods, different electronics, etc. Many of the limited runs are made in quantities of 50 -150 and as someone has already mentioned they are typically sold at Gibson's Five Star dealers.

Currently, white labels denote standard models and orange labels denote "Custom Shop" or limited runs.

See the Gibson link I posted above, it says that all "True Vintage" models have orange labels. Have never seen a true vintage myself though. Are they considered custom shop or limited run?

Well! did see a J185 with a maple back and sides but the maple was smooth not birds eye and it had a White Label. I have a Gibson Cascade this has birds eye maple back with an Orange label. Are Orange Label guitars better, or shorter runs or just another colour

An explanation of why you wanted to know would've helped and made the answers more concise and helpful

Ah! now I have a CJ165 best get up, gold hard and ebony fretboard, no longer in production but White Label.

See the Gibson link I posted above, it says that all "True Vintage" models have orange labels. Have never seen a true vintage myself though. Are they considered custom shop or limited run?

Archived